Vegan, Gluten-Free Buckwheat Granola

18:30


"And the sun took a step back,
the leaves lulled themselves to sleep
and Autumn was awakened."
- Raquel Franco

I feel you. Autumn is finally here. A few days late. The heat and humidity these past few days have been more than insufferable. Insufferable, I tell you! Nothing quite like preparing my body and mind and heart for autumn only to succumb to the powers of heatwaves. It's the adult version of reaching the apex of excitement for Disneyland only to have your parents pull the plug and ship you off to camp. (Camps are fun, I guess, but I suffered from lots of mosquito bites so...). 

If you're still in denial and don't believe that global warming is real, please turn on your telly and watch the news. Hurricanes everywhere. Heatwaves in autumn. Heavier fogs. Come on. This isn't normal at all. Even though it actually feels quite like fall today, it seems the weather will climb yet again next week. Not quite time yet for the dresses to take their leave of absence. Bare with my legs a little longer. 

As a result, my mind has been quite confused when it came to breakfast. Oatmeal just doesn't quite cut it. I mean, imagine sweating like a pig already at 7 am and then eating spoonfuls of warm oatmeal. Not too enticing in my opinion. (I do love my oatmeal, but there's a limit to that love. Cue James Blake's song.) So, I decided, perhaps it's time to create another kind of granola because, hello, granola parfaits are filling AND refreshing. Sorry, peeps, a smoothie or nicecream to quench the heat just does NOT cut it for me. I get too hungry too quickly. A granola parfait is the happy middle. Are you ready for this? 

And I have to add. I realised I had a pack of buckwheat groats sitting quietly in my pantry. The time of buckwheat groats' life is to be had now. Oatmeal, unfortunately, must step aside. Dirty dancing Spotlight is shining on you, buckwheat. Don't fail me now. 

I gotchu, you got me.

Vegan, Gluten-Free Buckwheat Granola
Makes 5-8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups raw buckwheat groats (not kasha)
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
  • 3 tbsp hemp seeds
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup hazelnuts (raw or roasted, your choice)
  • 1/2 cup flaked almonds
  • 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup at room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla 
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)
  • As much cinnamon as you like
  • Pinch of cardamom
  • 1/2 cup dried fruit of choice (I used a quarter each of raisins and dried cranberries)
Mix me, baby, one more time!

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients except for coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and almond extract together until well combined.

In a small bowl, mix the liquid ingredients and pour into the dry ingredients. Stir until well incorporated.

Transfer the granola mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread evenly and bake for 12-15 minutes. Mix the granola and return in the oven to bake for another 5 minutes.

Once the granola is toasty and golden, let sit to cool before transferring in an airtight jar/container.

Enjoy! xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images