Vegan Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Brownies

11:21



"I'm starved for connection, not attention."
- Anonymous
To tell you the truth, I've been stalling to post for a few weeks now. It's the longest writer's block I've ever had to go through. I mean, if there isn't a grade to earn, I suppose my brain just shut down and didn't even bother. So, the recipe sits here and because I just want it printed out, I should just go for it, no gimmicks or sarcastic commentaries.

When I transitioned to veganism, brownies were the first mountain I had to climb. Avocado brownies were such a foreign concept even back then. But I tried and it all worked out for the better. Guess who makes brownies almost every week now? Obviously, since variety is the spice of life, sometimes you just have to change it up once in a while. Basically, Minimalist Baker helped me keep it spicy. Dana is such a creative soul that sometimes, I find myself adding so many of her recipes in my favourites folder. Not a bad thing, really. Because I was on a chocolate kick, I decided to try out her recipe for vegan peanut butter swirl brownies. I mean, come on, PB and chocolate? When have I ever turned down this combo? (Way, way back when, I used to fight my brother for Reese's PB Cups on Halloween... Although, I don't think there was much need for that because he hated them.)

YESSSS

Vegan Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Brownies
Makes 9-12 squares
Adapted from Minimalist Baker

Ingredients:
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans, well rinsed
  • 2 flax eggs
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup dark chocolate chip + more for topping
 
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a square pan with coconut oil and set aside. 
 
Prepare flax egg by combining two tbsp ground flax with 5-6 tbsp of water in a food processor. Add all ingredients up to baking soda in the food processor and pulse until smooth. 
 
If the batter is too thick, add water, a tbsp at a time. Ensure that the batter isn't  runny. Add chocolate chips and mix with a spoon or spatula.

Evenly distribute the batter in the prepared pan. Add dollops of peanut butter and swirl with a knife. Top with more chocolate chips. 

Bake for 35-45 minutes (I baked mine for 35 minutes), or when the edges are crispy, but the middle is still soft. 

Let cool for at least 30 minutes in the pan. If it's still quite soft and delicate to remove, let cool in the freezer for a few minutes to set. 

Enjoy! xx



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. These sound FABULOUS! I've never baked with black beans, but it's on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images