B is for Brussels. Bruges. Beer?

19:28

"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and comes home to find it."
- George A. Moore

Succulents that I honestly wished I could take home with me.

What's your reason for travelling? Let's ponder on that, shall we? 

Personally, my primary aim is to explore the unknown -- land, culture, habits, people. There's something completely beautiful about being somewhere so foreign that you're both afraid and excited. I love to travel because it gives me a sense of learning. Travel usually tests your limits, but I suppose the level of such a challenge also depends on the kind of travelling you're doing. I tend to travel on my own. No, it doesn't scare me as weirdly as that may sound. It frees me from worries -- considerations of a travel companion's wants and needs for example. I feel so much more like myself when I'm some place else. But I think, ultimately, I travel because I'm searching for home. Of course I have a home now with my parents and brother, but I think I need to build my home, too, and it isn't here where I am right now. Does that sound weird? I can't seem to properly put into words that I mean, but there it is. 

My original travel plans was as follows: Belgium - France - Portugal - England. However, due to a family emergency, I cut the England leg of my trip and came "home". I do realise that yes, I am searching for home, but that I do have a home already. Nevertheless, who says you have to limit yourself to only one home? Home can be wherever you are right now even if your friends and family live elsewhere. Home can be nowhere in particular just because you're that much of a citizen of the world. Home is wherever your heart is. 

And so, this first post is dedicated to my trip to Belgium. I visited Belgium for the first time last year, spending some time in Antwerp and Ghent. This year, it's all about Brussels and Bruges. I rented a small apartment in Brussels in the Saint-Gilles area, which was quiet and homey. It isn't the city-centre, but the main attractions (Upper and Lower Town) were quite close. I'm a walker so I tend to avoid any sort of public transportation if possible. I was able to walk around with no problem. It takes more time for sure, but it's a good experience to know the city and to orient yourself. You'll also notice your surroundings more. If you haven't tried that before, do so. I assure you.

Day 1: Hectic. I missed my connecting flight from Heathrow to Brussels due to thunder and lightning back in Montreal, which delayed the flight. But I eventually got to Brussels, lugging in my suitcase in the train and umm, why don't escalators ever work? Train stations, take note! Then I was at the apartment, but didn't know how to properly open the main entrance door. I was "locked" inside for maybe an hour. I got it finally, but all the food stores were closed. I was quite hungry that night, but I at least had a small salad from London. I walked around the neighbourhood and soaked it all in. 

First dinner in Brussels -- courtesy of London. Go figure.

Day 2: Upper Town day. First, I went to APDM - a cute little cafe in the Saint-Gilles neighbourhood, famous for their wonderful bagels. I ordered my meal in French, a rarity that I do back home. I sat in a quiet corner, enjoyed the decor, savoured my meal and read a little bit. 

I mean, just look at this beauty! 

Then I exlored Upper Town, which to be honest, is easily merged with Lower Town. I went to the Royal Palace because there's free admission until early May and there's an exhibition being hosted about King Albert and Queen Elisabeth. Then I walked around the park right in front of the palace. It was quite busy with kid's events. I then headed towards the museums (there's aplenty! and you won't be disappointed). I quite enjoyed the Magritte Museum and the Royal Museum of Fine Arts. I didn't get the chance to visit the Horta Museum though, which was in my neighbourhood. 

Beautiful park -- Parc du Petit Sablon

I walked around afterwards to the Parc du Petit Sablon, which is tiny but so welcoming. It's an amazing little place where you can enjoy reading a book or listening to music and just take it all in. I can honestly say that there's something very enjoyable about little parks that are in the middle of an urban jungle -- mostly because they're so unexpected. Little gems. 


I think I spent the rest of the day just walking about, visting tiny shops and purchasing chocolates for friends and family. Then I went home and headed to a bar closeby to have some Belgian beer and frites. Life's too short so allow yourself some freedom for such enjoyment. 

Day 3: Bruges it is! The weather was terrific. It wasn't cold at all past 9 am. It was sunny and I was a tad overdressed. I decided to leave my map behind and just explore this mediaeval town. I passed by Minnewaterpark on the way to the city centre but didn't explore it until later on. The narrow streets and flowered windows were just the perfect backdrop to my romantic mind. Europe does that to you, methinks. 

Past the train station - Welcome to Minnewaterpark!

Random street? I can't recall.

It's funny how I was apparently already in the more touristy places and didn't even realise it. For one, I ended up in Belfort Tower without knowing and only realised it when I recognised the facade. I didn't dare climb up the tower though (bad knee and an upcoming half marathon will scare you enough), but I had a rather pleasant time discovering tucked away streets, antique shops and the more popular spots. I ate some more frites on the Markt whilst lazying about under the sun.

Markt, merci pour les frites!

A canal tour is a must of course. I was the only person flying solo and I guess I received some pity stares. You just laugh it off. Our tour guide was hilarious. His accent was super deep and we couldn't really understand his English, but hey, he tried. I think I've photobombed quite a number of selfies on that boat. Sorry, mates. 





Then I ended the day with a lovely walk in Minnewaterpark by the water. I also went around the houses along the lake (?) and so I started to daydream about owning a little home in Bruges near the water, with wooden window shutters with flowers. Naturally. 

 Quite picturesque, right?

Day 4: Lower Town bound after a satisfying uphill run. My first adventure involved finding Mannekin Pis. Yes, that tiny little cupid sculpture, excuse my language, pissing. It was easy enough, but I did have to dodge some shady Belgian man trying to guess my ethnicity. (For what purposes? I would never know.)

That lady really seems to be enjoying little pissing cupid here.

Spot the chocolate shop.

Then more chocolate shopping was involved. My brother loves dark chocolate with orange. Anywhere I travel to I just have to get him some. New York City. London. Paris. Brussels. Miami. Vancouver. Yep, it's a staple. There was a rather talented girl playing the flute near Les Galeries St-Hubert so I sat on a bench, sipped some lemon-mint water and enjoyed her music. But as she began playing My Heart Will Go On, I took my leave. That was my cue to get up and go, exit stage 1. 

You were lovely, lady.

I meant to visit the botanical garden as well, but there was another man who was following me (when I confronted him he said I intrigued him... umm, okay?). I scrapped that idea and just went around the shops. I managed to find a Pandora store so I bought a little charm signifying Brussels. Success. It's a little tradition I hold every time I visit a new city/country. Though for the life of me, I actually never bought one for New York City. Tsk tsk. 

Purchase this book if you find a copy! It's hilarious.

One last stroll.

The night was spent packing. Obviously. All the chocolate took a lot of space, which I haven't anticipated. But having seen the delight from the eventual recipients, I wouldn't have had it any other way.


xoxx,
Carla

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images