Raspberries, no cream: Vegan & gluten-free raspberry pancakes

18:15



"My voice is raspy like raspberries. Can you taste what I'm saying?"
- Jarod Kintz, So many chairs, and no time to sit
Believe it or not, I didn't always like raspberries. They were so... fuzzy? There was something about them that little ol' me didn't quite enjoy. Then one day, just like that, I couldn't stop eating them. My mother was surprised. So was my brother. Maybe even the squirrels outdoors. It was a happy change, I can tell you that. 

So each year, I wait for spring and summer, not only for the warm sunshine and the ability to wear dresses and sandals, but mostly because of the fresh, ripe and juicy berries waiting to be consumed. I have vowed to myself that I shall not live a day without eating at least a handful of raspberries when they're in season. Much better than a wedding vow, huh? 

See, look at my breakfast from this morning.

There are my infamous raspberries. Mmmmmm.

But I digress, this post is not only meant to exclaim to the world just how much I love raspberries, but also my love for pancakes. Little known fact: I have struggled with a love-hate relationship with pancakes 1) I was teased in high school because apparently my butt isn't so curvy and I was flat as pancakes, and 2) they were one of my fear foods (more on that later...). 

Now, however, my love affair with pancakes is only beginning. If you're on Instagram, you should be aware of the tag #pancakesunday. So every Sunday, I make myself a small batch of vegan and gluten-free pancakes. With maple syrup. (I'm Canadian, what can I say?)




Basic Pancake Recipe (serves 1)
Dry Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1 tsp ground flaxseed
  • 1 tsp baking powder 
  • 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp cinammon
  • Pinch of salt
Wet Ingredients:
  • Half of a banana, mashed
  • 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup milk of choice (I tend to use almond milk or coconut milk from a carton)
  • Splash of vanilla essence
Mix-ins:
  • 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup raspberries, mashed
Toppings:
  • More banana slices
  • More raspberries
  • Maple syrup
  • Or anything your heart desires!
In a small bowl, combine all wet ingredients together and combine the dry ingredients in another bowl. Fold in wet including the raspberries with dry. Don't overmix. Add more liquid as needed. 
Heat your frying pan with coconut oil, and then add about 1/4 cup of the pancake batter. Cook on one side until bubbles form on the top, then flip to the other side. Repeat. 

Top with your favourite topping, drizzle some maple syrup (or lots) and enjoy. 

xx

 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images