Nourishing Zoodle Bowl

17:53




"Ah! There is nothing like staying at home, for real comfort."
- Jane Austen
I seek adventure, truly. I'm a wanderlust at heart. Travelling is the essence of my soul; nothing makes my heart beat as loud as discovering new places and learning about different cultures. My blood gets pumping when I plan a new trip. I can't help but smile when I think of new prospects. Just the idea of setting food on new soils, unknown until that very moment, fires me, my source of energy.

But sometimes, life decides to take a turn and leads you to a dark place, where sorrow is king and hope is a pupper. That's where I am right now... My 25th year on Earth has been the most difficult one yet and I feel like a fish out of water. For once, my strength is being tested and I'm learning just how much I can take before breaking down. But I realised, or at least I'm realising, that we never really know what tomorrow will bring. So I'm hopeful. All my plans are at a halt at the moment. I'm being less selfish and I'm opening my heart to the person who really needs and deserves my undivided attention--my dad.

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero's song "Home" is one of my favourite songs. They sing (happily) that "home is wherever I'm with you." And I agree, I think home isn't always a tangible thing. It isn't always a place. It can be a state of mind, a feeling. Presently, home is here, where I am, where my dad is, where my family is. I'm trying to forgive myself for ever thinking how unlucky I've been for having my dad be taken ill and have my life plans put on hold. I've selfishly thought that I'm not living up to my potential and chasing my dreams, that my life is over, when there's this wonderful man with me right now whose life has already been sentenced by a doctor.

What do you do when you come to realise that you've unleashed your version of the Hulk? You take some time off work, spend more time with your family, ground yourself, find your centre, cry, laugh, write, read, cook, eat, and just live as simply as you can. De-clutter. Weed out all the painful thoughts, the crippling what-ifs and maybes that rest heavy in your heart. You run and do yoga and meditate. You watch movies, even the bad ones for guilty pleasure. You try something new and expand the limits of your comfort zone.

And did I say cook already? Yes, cook. Simply. Quickly. Even whilst doing something else. And this meal gives you exactly that opportunity because, I'll be honest, I don't have the best attention span. I think too much and if I don't have to, I let my discipline fall down 10 notches. Thus, the easiest lunch has been borne by my personality. Funnily enough. (P.S. You should know that I'm terrible at measuring exactly. I go with the flow in cooking.)

Nourishing Zoodle Bowl
Serves 1

Ingredients:
  • 1 large courgette/zucchini
  • 1 cup baby spinach
  • 1/3 cup green peas
  • 1/3 cup corn 
  • 5 baby tomatoes
  • 1 small sweet potato
  • Tahini 

Bake sweet potato in a preheated overn at 400C for 50 minutes to an hour, until soft.

Using a spiraliser, make your zuchinni noodles. If using frozen peas and corn, cook as directed. Remember to run through cold water to avoid soggy vegetables. Slice baby tomatoes as desired.

In a salad bowl, throw in the baby spinach, then add the zoodles, mashed baked sweet potato, peas, corn and tomatoes. Drizzle with tahini.

Enjoy!

xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images