Vegan & Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Brownies

09:15



"Just for the record darling, not all positive change feels positive in the beginning."
- S. C. Lourie

Life lately has been full of changes, both positive and painful. But the tsunamis of change that have hit me before remind me that all is temporary including the good things in life. So the bad will go away, too. Then the cycle begins yet again. I'm breathing in gratitude, breathing out doubt. 

And then I'm eating chocolate and sweet potatoes. Possibly two of my favourite foods. Well, then again, the list of my favourite foods is quite exhaustive. But we shan't get into that. It's been pointed out that sometimes most of the time my blog posts get rather philosophical and don't necessarily relate back to the recipe. I think that's my intention anyway. I write for the pleasure of it, or if there's some thought that my brain is slowly but continuously scratching away. 

For now, let's talk about the recipe. The first time I made sweet potato brownies was actually late 2013 as I was discovering vegan bloggers and recipes that required more than just lettuce leaves and roasted veggies. I found Deliciously Ella and I reckon the first recipe I did try was her sweet potato brownie recipe. That was probably the first time I've ever used buckwheat flour. I did a Google search just to find where I can buy a sack in my area. I'm an expert at that now. The recipe below doesn't require any nuts, just because in all honesty I hate using my food processor unless I really need to. Like to make hummus or falafels or energy bites or nicecream. None of which I make often. Carla vs the Machines = Carla will always try to opt out of this battle. Now, please expel all of your expectations that these brownies will turn out like "regular" brownies. Because they won't. They will be different because they are different. These are fudgy in a funny way. Sweet in a non-traditional way. But all in all, just pure goodness. Let's get on to it. 

Don't mind if I do

Vegan & Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Brownies
Makes 9-12 squares

Ingredients:
  • 1 large sweet potato or 3 small-medium, roasted until soft
  • 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
  • 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 10-12 large dates, pits removed and soaked in hot water
  • 2-4 tbsp maple syrup, at room temperature
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Dark chocolate
  • Frozen raspberries
 Note: For the sweet potatoes, I like to roast them covered in aluminium foil in 400F for 30-40 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a square pan or a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl, mash the sweet potatoes. Remove the dates from the water and mash using a fork.

Add oat flour, cocoa powder, dates, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla with the sweet potatoes. You can use a hand blender or if you're looking for an arm workout (like I was), continue using a fork.

Fold in dark chocolate. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and top with frozen raspberries, if desired.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the edges are "crispy". Remove from oven and let cool before slicing. This keeps in the fridge for at least a week in a sealed container.

Enjoy! xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images