Grain-Free Tahini Chocolate Squares

10:34



"If people sat outside and looked at the stars each night, I'll bet they'd live a lot differently."
- Bill Watterson

Food for thought. 

Using today's jargon, I suppose it's pretty "basic" for a girl to declare her love for sunsets or chocolate or yoga or kale (ha!) or pizza or stars. The list goes on! Jokes aside, I do love staring at the stars are night. I used to carry our heavy book on constellation and tried to figure out which one was on full display that night. I never really did succeed without much needed guidance and even today, I wish to own a telescope. Our fascination is only natural, as Neil deGrasse Tyson so poignantly pointed out, "[w]e are not figuratively, but literally stardust."

Living in the city makes me miss seeing stars every night. I'm lucky if I'm able to spot a single star, but I suppose the moon is enough. If you've never seen a blanket of stars, you're definitely missing out. There's something so surreal about the experience, something so grounding. How tiny we are, humans. Perhaps then we'll step out of our own worlds a little more often and actually emphatise with what surrounds us. Just maybe, wishful thinking. 

And now to actual food. 

Last week, my body went haywire on me. It didn't matter that I was eating healthy, whole foods and avoided processed foods, my tummy just felt like it was being stabbed by a dozen daggers. To top it all, I had such strong cravings for dense chocolate cake and even when I had a slice, my brain just wasn't satisfied. Then it passed, all of it. 

Coincidentally, this seems to happen to me every year when spring begins. Weirdo little body of mine. It's as if it's letting go of its desire for heavier winter dishes and welcoming bright salads and lighter meals. But obviously, the tummy wanted one (or two) more slices of cake. 

Mind you, I'm not saying I'll never have dessert again until winter. I definitely will. Like right now. I'm munching on these tahini bombs! I've been convinced that white beans are much better than chickpeas and so I decided to experiment a little with them. I'm also going through yet another tahini phase (see here, here and here). Trust me when I say, these squares are hard not to eat straight out from the pan! 

That one we waited for the sun to set and looked at the stars as we climbed down <3


Grain-Free Tahini Chocolate Squares
Makes 9-16 squares

Ingredients:
  • 1 can (15 oz) white beans
  • 1/2 cup tahini
  • 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup pure maple syrup *
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • Dark chocolate chips 
  • Shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a square pan with parchment paper and set aside.

Drain and rinse white beans. Pour into the food processor along with tahini, maple syrup, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Process until smooth. If the batter becomes too thick, add wee bit more maple syrup or liquid of choice.

Add as much chocolate chips you desire and mix with a wooden spoon. Transfer into the prepared pan and top with more chocolate and coconut, if desired.

Bake for at 23-25 minutes. Check to see that the mixture has set. It should be soft, but not mushy. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. To aid with the texture, place in the fridge for a few hours before slicing.

Enjoy! xx





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images