Vegan Carrot Cake with Cashew Frosting

15:14



"Health is not just about what you're eating. It's also about what you're thinking and saying."
- Unknown

If we're friends who constantly communicate with each other or if we're co-workers or if you follow me on Instagram, you won't be surprised to know that I'm off running (not without some kicking and temper tantrums). According to my physio, it's a classic case of overuse and a wee bit of bad luck. C'est la vie.  

For the past week, I've been a wreck, almost in tears, especially when a runner runs past me. I mean, dear runners, good for you all, but my broken heart is beyond hurt. Perhaps you don't understand my pain, but this is just heart-wrenching. But, in all honesty, I'd rather rest up and let my body heal than further aggravating the issue. No way will I let this ruin my summer or the future. Rest up, buttercup. 

Because of all of this free time, I've been baking so much to the point that my mum has been complaining she couldn't keep up. Let's see, during the Easter weekend, I made banana bread, avocado brownies, two batches of carrot cake and grain-free sweet potato brownies. My tummy was beyond overjoyed because hello, sweet tooth over here!

I have my usual go-to carrot cake recipe, but since I had pastry flour, I needed to shake things up a bit! The texture was amazing, fluffy without being too light. The recipe also doesn't require a lot of oil or sugar so if you're watching your calorie intake, but still want delicious cake, then this cake will hit the right spot.

"Bite me, eat me, love me," said the carrot cake.

Vegan Carrot Cake with Cashew Frosting
Makes 12 slices

Dry Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cups pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup spelt flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients:
  • 2 cups grated carrots plus 1 tbsp coconut sugar
  • 1 cup nut milk of choice *
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup neutral oil (canola oil or grape seed oil)
  • 3/4 cup to 1 cup  coconut sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup raisins

Frosting Ingredients:
  • 1 cup raw cashews
  • 1/8 cup to 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
 
 Hits the spot. The right spot.

To start, make sure that the cashews are soaked at least overnight as this creates a much better texture for the frosting (easier to blend). 

For the grated carrots, mix 1 tbsp of coconut oil and let sit for at least 30 minutes. This helps bring out more liquid, which helps with the texture of the  cake.
 
Preheat oven to 350F. Line two rectangular dishes with parchment paper. (I used 6.75" x 10.25" from Le Creuset.) 
 
In a large bowl, sift flours, baking powder and baking soda. Mix in cinnamon and salt. 
 
In a separate bowl, mix together all wet ingredients except for the grated carrots. 
 
Pour the wet ingredients with the liquid and make sure to mix thoroughly to avoid any clumps. Fold in carrots and raisins until combined. 
 
Separate the batter into the prepared pans equally. Bake between for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick/knife comes out clean. Let cool on the wire rack. 

As the cakes cool, prepare the frosting by processing all frosting ingredients together. Blend until smooth. Start with 1/8 cup of almond milk and add more as needed to make the frosting smoother. 

When the frosting is done, place in the fridge covered for at least 30 minutes. 

Frost both cakes and place one on top of each other, if desired. Place cake(s) in the fridge for storage.

Enjoy! xx
 
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images