Brookie = Brownie + Cookie

16:37



"You are what you think about all day."
- Dr. Robert Schuller

So, basically I am food... because that's practically all I think about all day long. Maybe not every minute of the day, but for the major part of my waking day. Let's see. I think about the oatmeal I make in the morning. Whilst mixing the oats in the pot, I think of the toppings I'll pair the oatmeal with. I take the first bite and I think of the next bite. I eat the last spoonful and I'm already dreaming of my next snack... And then the cycle begins yet again. Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I highly doubt that. *wink* 

It's no surprise then when I say that if a random idea pops into my head, I'll get on and do just that. Well, especially when it comes to vegan baking. I have this notebook where I list all the different vegan desserts I'd love to develop and bake. The list spans a couple of pages (like it's no big deal, but honestly, I'm ready to have a full blown panic attack at the thought). I bake one thing, but I'll just add more to the list. It just doesn't end. Oy vey.

The brookie. A hybrid between a brownie and a cookie. Literally, it's a brownie topped with cookie dough. Most of the recipes I found were too complicated and required way too much vegan butter and sugar. In the name of efficiency, I mixed two recipes that I already know by heart: avocado brownies and gluten-free chocolate chip cookies.

Watch me butcher the steps below... because to me it's pretty obvious now how to proceed.

You won't stop at one bite. I swear.

Brookies
Makes 12 slices

Ingredients:

Brownie layer:
  • 1 avocado, mashed
  • 1/4 cup neutral oil of choice
  • 1 cup spelt/whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup-3/4 cup coconut sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp pink salt
  • 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of water or almond milk
  • Handful of chocolate chips
Cookie layer:
  • 1 cup gluten-free flour blend
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp pink salt
  • 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 flax egg
  • Handful of chocolate chips
 Preheat oven to 350F. Line a square pan with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix mashed avocado and oil together. When combined, add in flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Don't overmix. Add water/almond milk gradually (start with 1/2 cup) and mix until smooth. Add more liquid as required. Throw in chocolate chips and fold.

In a separate bowl, cream together vegan butter and coconut sugar. Once softened, add in vanilla and flax egg. Then, add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips.

Pour the brownie batter first into the prepared pan. Top with the cookie dough and smooth out using a spatula.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, depending on the texture desired (more gooey or denser). Let cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before slicing.

Enjoy! xx


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'll admit I've never had a "brookie" before, but this looks right up my alley! Love the use of avocado - so sneaky!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images