Power Biscotti from Blissful Balance

03:23



"I'll read my books and I'll drink coffee and I'll listen to music, and I'll bolt the door."
- J.D. Salinger
Sometimes I wish it's far easier to bolt the door mentally. To lock away negative thoughts and toxic situations. But we need those to grow and to learn more about ourselves. We need not shy away from the pain, but that's easier said than done, right? 

Back in my teenage years, my dad had to remove the locks and change the doorknob of my bedroom because I spent way too much time locked inside. Nothing risque, I was all about consuming all the books I could get my hands on. I suppose I liked the idea of knowing the "ending" of a story. Real life isn't quite clear cut, is it?

Don't always bolt the door. But always be kind. You can drink your coffee in the process. 

And all that to say, as always, whenever I feel some angst building up inside me, I read (or I go for a long run). These days, it's either a non-fiction book (learning is hot, peeps) or scrolling through vegan websites. If you're not aware of it yet, I absolutely love Oh She Glows. And I know of her love of sunflower seeds. Since I had a big bag of sunflower seeds, all I needed was a quick search on her blog and was I ever grateful to find this recipe on her blog for power biscotti (which was a recipe from Blissful Basil). It's one of our Oscars viewing party desserts! And no one's complaining. 

Who says healthy has to be boring?

Power Biscotti
Makes 12-14 pieces
Adapted from Oh She Glows

Ingredients:
  • 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed, 2 tbsp water)
  • 2 cups sunflower seeds
  • 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Add sunflower seeds to a food processor and process until until you reach a coarse flour consistency. Add the arrowroot powder and sea salt and pulse for five seconds.

Pour the mixture in a bowl. Add the cranberries and pumpkin seeds.

With the flax egg, add the maple syrup and vanilla mixture. Stir well.

Pour the flax-maple mixture over the sunflower seed mixture. Keep on stirring, don't give up. It'll bind (eventually).

Pour the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. With wet hands, shape into two rectangles (size: 4 x 6 inches). Bake for 18-22 minutes, or when the edges are slightly golden brown. (Since mine were pretty thin, I baked them for 15 minutes.) Let cool for at least 20 minutes.

Lower the temperature of the oven to 275F.

Once the biscotti have cooled, use a sharp knife to cut 1-inch-thick slices lengthwise.

Return into oven and bake for 16-18 minutes then carefully flip and bake for another 16-18 minutes. (In my case, I only had to bake 8 minutes each side.)

Carefully transfer onto a cooling rack and let cool completely. To keep freshness and crispness, store in airtight glass container. The biscotti will keep for a week.

Enjoy! xx



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images