Chocolate Avocado Truffles

02:37





"The sensitive suffer more; but they love more, and dream more."
- Augusto Cury

Who else is a crybaby? Tears come easy to me. Had I desired to become a dramatic actress, I think I would've done well for myself... Only because I can cry easily. My parents had to "train" me to save my tears until I got home and can do so from the prying eyes of strangers, or in most cases, of classmates and acquaintances. Just about anything made me cry. I empathised a little too much (when I was seven years old, I felt so bad for ants I tiptoed everywhere). 

It took years for me to realise crying is all right. If you're not one to agree, yo, we're all different. It doesn't even matter that society rears us to be mostly stoic, to grow thick skin and to brush the dirt off our shoulders. Sure, there are moments you HAVE to keep it all in (e.g. during a business meeting, in the subway, or whilst grocery shopping). But sometimes, you just have to let it all out. Cry. Me. A. River. 

I do think there's also work on my part when it comes to taking everything to heart a little too deeply. Like a co-worker's opinion of me. Or a stranger's weird stare. Or some guy's remark about my hair. Nothing wrong for being more emotional, for feeling more, for knowing how to sympathise and empathise. But, let's admit it, not everything on this Earth deserves our tears. Seriously. Just play that Jay-Z song and paint a big beautiful smile on your face. (Sorry, I don't know the lingo of today to use here. I just learned what "on fleek" means.) 

In any case, if you're not the sensitive type or it takes a lot to warm your heart, I'm sure this recipe will hit bulls eye. Hello, Cupid! As per usual, I had one too many ripe avocados sitting on my kitchen counter and though I was more than happy to make guacamole and mix them in my salads, there were still two left. I didn't have enough cocoa powder in my pantry so after some Googlin', I found this recipe by Eating Bird Food. I just added some coconut flakes because why not? So simple, so easy, so delicious!


Chocolate Avocado Truffles
Makes 10 truffles

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup mashed avocado (half an avocado)
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips 
  • Cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • Unsweetened coconut flakes

Mash avocado with a fork and add some sea salt. Make sure there are no lumps.

Using a bain-marie (pot with hot water with a glass bowl on top), melt the chocolate. If you don't have a bain-marie (or if you're lazy), microwave the chocolate, but make sure you don't burn it.

Mix the chocolate with the avocado and combine thoroughly.

Place the mixture in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up. When set, start rolling your truffles. In a shallow bowl, place some cocoa powder and roll the balls. Or if using coconut flakes as well, repeat the step. Make sure the truffles are fully covered. Store in the fridge until ready to nom-nom-nom.

Enjoy! xx


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Sounds delicious! And I am totally in the same boat when it comes to being a sensitive soul...I've gotten better at crying, but it's still a part of my personality that I can't change. And I won't apologize for being able to empathize well with others! There's positives and negatives in every personality trait :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go, Casey! Just be you! We're all a little different :)

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images