Savoury Zucchini Muffins

17:29



"She loves the smell of warm coffee, bloomed roses and new beginnings."
- S. A.

My birthday was a few weeks ago. There was no Earth-shattering revelation. It wasn't the beginning of a new book, just a simple turn of the page. We love to think of specific dates as the days when we should make the change to improve our lives and finally chase our dreams. So why not today? Why not this moment?

Although I do talk the big talk, I like to take small steps. No spontaneous grand leaps. At least not at first. This month, I decided to do the following to improve my state of mind: 
  • Don't check Instagram too often, especially on weekdays (morning-noon-evening) - I'm doing all right. I can improve so I'll continue working on this. 
  • Practice more yoga - I just stopped last year and I haven't really gotten back on this horse. At least, I do it now before sleeping a few times a week. Why is hot yoga so expensive? 
  • Try out new recipes - I tend to cook and bake the same meals every week so I'm pushing myself to try out a few things that have been sitting on my favourites folder for months and months. 
  • Spend more time outdoors - Winter's coming and since I really am not a snow gal, I intend to take long walks before the first snowstorm. 
  • Post more on the blog - I procrastinated a lot last month (partly due to my vacation) so this month, I intend to post at least one recipe every week. 
  • Manage my finances better - For an auditor, I'm pretty bad at keeping track of my finances. I rely a little too heavily on automatic savings transfers. Being an Excel lover, I finally built my budget tracker. Bring it on. 
  • Drink less coffee - For some reason, I've become a coffee addict. I think it's because of the colder weather. Maybe. Max two cups from here on out. One cup on weekends.
  • I'm sure there's a few other things, but I can't think of them right now. 

I guess with this recipe post I'm killing two birds with one stone (points 3 and 5). Yay me! Zucchini bread I always baked sweet, but since I'm trying not to eat too much processed bread, savoury zucchini muffins that are both homemade and nutritious sounded like the best idea. And I assure you, these muffins are pretty spectacular!


Too good!

Savoury Zucchini Muffins
Makes 12 muffins

Dry Ingredients:
  • 2 cups spelt flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Extra nutritional yeast

Wet Ingredients:
  •  2 medium zucchinis, shredded
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp vegan buttermilk 
  • 1/3 cup olive oil 

Preheat oven to 375F. Oil a muffin tin and set aside.

To make the vegan buttermylk, mix together mylk of choice (I chose almond milk) and 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar. Let sit for a few minutes until you see the mixture curdles. 

In a bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients. Pour the liquid into the dry. Mix, but don't overmix.

Pour into the muffin tin equally into the 12 cups.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before removing from the muffin tray.

Ideas: I slices the muffins in half and made a veggie sandwich, adding veggie burger, Vegenaise, avocado and sriracha. I also like topping the muffins with vegan cream cheese. 

Enjoy! xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images