Oat Flour Banana Bread with Apples & Medjool Dates

17:20



"I romanticize life the way artists see scenery or a dreamer gazes up at the stars."
- Anastasia Bolinder

Who has never romanticised an idea? I catch myself idealising concepts or scenarios that I play out in my head. Lately, it’s been about autumn. I found myself asking if I truly liked autumn or if I was just kidding myself and summer truly is my favourite season. Of course you’re allowed to like more than one season, but my apparent love for autumn seemed to be so strong that I didn’t even question its bounds. Or if it even had any bounds or hidden clauses. The answer is: I love autumn up to the point when it masks itself as winter. If you're from the east coast, you’ll know what I mean. It’s that time of the year when technically it’s still considered autumn (before December 21), but there is either snow on the ground or the additional wind chill makes you feel anything but chill.  

What else apart from cosy sweaters, scenic long walks and pumpkin everything do I romanticise about autumn? Fall baking/cooking, of course! Every year, I tell myself I’m baking the best recipes in autumn. Spiced pear cakes. Carrot cake with a thick layer of cashew frosting. Pumpkin cookies or bread or muffins. Thick butternut soup with coconut milk. Apple pie. Spaghetti with lots of basil (don’t ask why this is such a fall meal for me). That familiar scent in the kitchen of spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, of warm apples and pumpkin, even of the holidays coming our way. See? I’m romanticising again. 

When I spotted my spotty bananas on Sunday morning, I knew I should make use of them before they turn into compost completely. But another banana bread recipe? And another one? Hear me out. My kitchen is currently overflowing with apples and I don’t know what to do with them anymore. I don’t like wasting food so I thought, hey why not, bake banana bread, but throw in some apple chunks just for kicks. There were medjool dates flirting with me, longing to be devoured. Who am I to turn them away? I threw in some of those, too. I guess my point is, what I like about fall is all these possibilities. You can keep a bit of summer all the while preparing your body and soul for winter... Because as GoT made famous, winter is coming (just 'round the corner now, folks). 


What kitchen dreams are made of <3
 

Oat Flour Banana Bread with Apples & Medjool Dates
Makes 10 slices

Ingredients:
  • 3 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 cups gluten-free oat flour
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp coconut sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 apple, peeled and diced
  • 5 medjool dates, chopped

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a bread pan with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together oat flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix mashed banana, coconut sugar, almond milk, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Pour the liquid ingredients with the dry ingredients and whisk until incorporated well. Fold in the apples and medjool dates. Save some for topping.

Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan. Top with apples, dates and oats, if desired.

Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

Enjoy! xx


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images