Acai Bowl Por Favor

08:02




"Have fun, even if it's not the same kind of fun everyone else is having."
- C.S. Lewis

My idea of fun? It involves books, a cozy blanket, a cup of hot tea and a vegan dessert. That's fun for me. Or long walks in autumn wearing a thick scarf with cheeks all blush red. A day in the kitchen, slicing and dicing, mixing and plating. Swimming in the ocean and sunbathing afterwards with a good book and a cold drink. Sipping a glass of wine and laughing with girlfriends over dinner. Traveling to new places and meeting pretty awesome people. It's not for everyone. Someone who's reading this right now may even be labeling me as a grandma (if you happen to be doing just that, heck, I'm one of the most rad granny in her 20s there is). 

Thing is, I discovered acai bowls one night when, instead of bar hopping with a friend from out of town, I decided to stay in and Google vegan breakfast recipes. (This was 2-3 years ago... not much has changed.) Acai? I didn't even know how to pronounce the word. A-kay? A-say? A-Sa-ee? Ace? I also had no idea where in the world I'd be able to get my hands on acai packs. It's a lot easier now, I assure you. But somehow, I did find frozen acai in a grocery store and cringing a bit when I saw the price, I did take the pack home. Thus begin my love affair with acai bowls. 

If the fact that this blog exists isn't an indication that I find recipe testing/creation fun, then let me tell you this: I really do think cooking and baking are hella fun. If you don't really like cooking/baking but still want an easy healthy breakfast, then this recipe is right up your alley. Plus, you get to be as creative as you want! Barely any measurements (in  case you hate numbers). Go with your gut (it will thank you for this recipe as well, just sayin'). 

The cold bowl that warms the heart.

Acai Bowl 
 Serves 1

Ingredients:
  • 1 serving frozen acai pack
  • 1 small banana, frozen
  • 1/4 cup coconut water
  • 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 scoop protein powder (optional)*

Toppings:
  • Homemade granola (or granola of choice)
  • 1/2 banana, sliced
  • Strawberries/fruits of choice
  • Coconut flakes
  • Energy balls
  • Hemp seeds
  • Nut butter
  • Splash of almond milk 

 In a Vitamix/blender, blend together all ingredients until smooth. Add more liquid if desired.

Pour the acai mixture into a bowl and add toppings of choice. My favourite is a mix of granola (for crunch), banana (for added sweetness) and a splash of almond milk.

Enjoy! xx






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images