Copenhagen Love Affair

18:59







"Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
- Hans Christian Andersen

Copenhagen. The city of bikes. Of long legs and blond hair and blue eyes. Of simplicity. Of wide roads and bike lanes. Of funny antics on the bikes. And off it. Of the brightest flowers I ever did see. Of the sweetest smiles that ever met me. I still long for thee. 

Friends who travelled to Copenagen told me their stories, their opinions, their expectations, all the highs and lows. I'm not sure I'm surprised that each and every one of my friends told me the Danes are apples to the eye, not very good with small talk, and fun after a few glasses. I was giddy with excitement. 

Arrival
I landed in Copenhagen later than usual, after a flight delay, which wasn't surprising. There were heavy rains in Copenhagen. It was dark and cold when I landed - not a very positive sign. A little discouraging, even. My brain didn't seem to function properly, I was in the wrong line for train tickets to central station. Finally, I managed to figure it out and I was increasingly eager to arrive to my flat and get under the covers. I missed the bus and with the rain pouring down, I decided to take a cab. Always funny when the driver asks you for directions. Hello, sir, I'm clearly a tourist and rather clueless. And then, we arrived and I just ran up the stairs with my luggage, ready for bed. 




Day 1:
I got up bright and early to go for a run. It was dark and grey outside, as if the clouds were threatening us mere mortals. I didn't know the neighbourhood at all, but I followed this bike/walk path and finally saw some fellow runners. Let's just say, it was rather nice to start the day with some runner eye candies. *wink wink*

That morning, I went on at a leisurely pace. I ate my breakfast whilst planning my activities for the rest of the day. Assistens Kirkegård was close enough so I went for a walk, searching mainly for Hans Christian Andersen's grave. I read the map wrong and I was there for more than an hour along with some other tourists. I think the most fun bit of my visit there was me making babies laugh. I didn't realise I had that in me. Then off I went to walk towards the centre from Nørrebro. Did. Not. Realise. It. Was. That. Far. But I didn't mind, you see, I'm a walker and Copenhagen was proving to be a worthy city. I reached the Lakes and decided to go around them. Like my run that morning wasn't enough. It was so lovely, the sun decided to say hello, the wind was gentle, the swans were having the time of their life. Just after, I decided to take advantage of the sunshine and headed straight to the botanical garden. What a lovely little haven in the middle of the city! The lily pond was magical, I even decided to sit on the little dock and read. What a fairytale! 

But of course, after all that walking, my tummy began to protest. Thank goodness Torvehallerne was closeby - foodie heaven! Of course, if you're open to try everything under the sun, it's going to be a fun rollercoaster ride. There are some stalls that I considered vegan paradise, such as Fresh Market, which offers freshly cut fruit, salads and juices as well as fresh fruits and vegetables. I bought some juices, cut fruits and salads to go, but I found the fresh fruits and vegetables to be a little too pricey. So off I went outside, where there was a veggie and fruit stall. I bought myself some bananas and the ripest figs I ever did! I was rather tempted to buy fresh flowers, too, but I restrained myself. I couldn't be bothered with such a luxury. 



I sat outdoors and ate my fruits - best snack ever. I had great conversations with some locals, who had confused me for a local (if that were true, I'd definitely be in the minority). Ha! Always funny when people think I'm local. We conversed about our travels, films, what we're reading and veganism. I soon got hit on by a married man. Oy vey. The rest of the afternoon was spent walking around, visiting shops and buying gifts for my family and friends back home. I learned a few Danish words that day and I think I managed to fake the simple conversations with shopkeepers. With the mistake of saying "Hej hej" when I first meet someone. 

It was rather chilly by the end of the day and so I decided to head on home to warm up a bit. I had planned to eat a vegan restaurant for dinner that night, but my salad from Fresh Market proved to be too enticing so I stayed in for dinner. No regrets. That was one big salad, so filling but all worth it! I definitely need to recreate it for my meals back home, sans le concombre. I got tired of my own company soon after. I don't mind travelling alone at all, but for some reason, that night, I craved company. And off I went to a neighbourhood bar (where I met the most handsome man I've ever laid eyes on). As I've already said, no regrets. 



A more than satisfying first day in Copenhagen, if you ask me. 

Day 2:

Another day, another run. This time around, since I was more familiar with the city, I headed farther for my run. The Lakes are definitely amazing when you're a long distance runner. Not boring at all! And as I mentioned above, eye candies everywhere. It was so inspiring to see so many active individuals on a work day. Something that gets lost in North America. I was famished by the time I got back to my flat. Can you blame me? More than 10km in the bag. Breakfast that day was a juice from Fresh Market and the bananas and figs that I got from Torvehallerne. It was love at first bite. 



My itinerary for that day included Nyhavn because I needed colour! Copenhagen, I love you and all, but you're very neutral. (If you're the type of individual who wears bright colours all the time, mind that you will stand out in this city. I faded in the background. Obvs.) After this fairtytale-like promenade around Nyhavn, I headed straight to Kastellet, looked for the Little Mermaid (you tiny little creature) and decided to brave the strong winds and walked uphill. I had to sit down since I was rather afraid I'd end up falling down the moat. Tiny girl + very strong winds = not a very good mix. Then it was time for lunch, after all that walking. I went back near Rosenborg Castle (lovely garden!) where I noticed a little sign indicating juice and vegan options. So in I went Big Apple, a juicery that offers some warm sandwiches as well. I ordered a vegan sandwich with hummus, olives, spinach and red capsicum plus their "reloader" juice. Hunger satiated. Here I also met a rather young Dane, who thought I was an exchange student and who offered to accompany me if I had classes in the afternoon. Sorry, buddy, you're cute, but you're younger than my brother (even if age of consent in Denmark is apparently 15 years old). 



For my next activity, I explored Strøget and obviously was very tempted to purchase everything in site. I managed to restrain myself and settled with a dress and a lipstick. Good job. It's easy when you're too short and the smallest size still makes you seem like a dwarf. My wallet was happy. I heard a couple of other tourists talking about visiting Carlsberg brewery and I decided to tag along (without them knowing). I seem to like beer when I travel. On my way back, I passed by Tivoli Gardens and the sound of laughter and fun screaming enticed me to head there. It was Friday night of course and I needed to do something a bit adventurous. To save money, I bought a multi-ride pass and I tell you, it was exhilirating! I rode the cute ferris wheel, played with bumper cars, braved the rollercoaster and the ride called Golden Tower that drops you down like it's hot. I rode the Spinning Top, too, a little reminder of my childhood. After all that excitement, my tummy was giving me a temper tantrum. 

It was time to visit 42Raw. I've heard such wonderful reviews about this little restaurant that I knew I would end up there multiple times (and I did).  I suppose the rides made my tummy a bit unsettled, but I was also rather hungry so I ordered a raw Thai noodle dish (spicy spicy), matcha latte and a chocolate muffin. I needed some dessert on a Friday night. I can't repeat just how delicious everything was! I was already planning my breakfast for the next morning. Since it was Friday, everyone was in a party mood and so was I. Some exchange students (don't be surprised) hugged me on the street, shouting that I was one of them and that we all should party together. Second time in one day that university students tried to flirt with me. Bah, I decided to head to a bar with them anyway, they were all good kids. The night ended with one of them bringing me back to my flat in a bike that had that cart in front. It even had a seatbelt. Glad to hear I could still pass as 20 years old. 


My 25 year-old self was happy to be in bed at the sensible hour of 2 am. 


Day 3:




I had to take advantage, this was my last full day in Copenhagen. I had originally decided to spend the Saturday on a day trip, but decided against it as I wanted to try out more vegan restaurants on my last day. And also to visit some galleries/museums and take advantage of the sunny weather gracing the city. Plus, I really needed to go to the Pandora store. Excuses, excuses. 

As I promised myself, 42Raw was my breakfast spot that day. I needed that acai bowl in my belly and quickly! HEAVENLY! Possibly the best thing I ate in Copenhagen to be honest. That granola, hmmmm. After breakfast, I went back to Strøget to search for a Pandora store (I went with the mermaid charm). I didn't shop a lot, just for little knickknacks because Copenhagen is expensive. I spent the rest of the day visting museums and headed to Christiana as well. It was a lovely, slow afternoon. Exactly what I needed that day. 



For lunch, I didn't miss the opportunity to visit SimpleRaw. I went big obviously, ordering their raw veggie sushi and an avocado toast. Two thumbs up definitely for the toast, whilst I didn't enjoy the veggie sushi that much. I'd eat it again though, but I probably would just make it myself. I reckon there are other more worthy specials on the menu. 



The rest of the day went on like that, quite leisurely. The sun felt amazing and I decided to lay on the grass and read. Life was beautiful at that moment, realising it's the simple pleasures that make life well worth it. I spent some time in a tiny coffee shop after to rest my tired feet, sipping some hot tea to ease my tummy. I managed to catch up on my reading and some of you might think that's rather boring, but it's amazig to me. It's important for me to set aside time to devour books, even during vacation. My luggage suffers because of this. Ha! 

I needed a quick dinner that night as I was meeting up with some locals I met. It was such a novelty, my diet. Sorry, chaps, I don't eat pork. Botaniq caught my eye when I first went to Torvehallerne. I had the pita with falafels because, you know, you gotta falafel once in a while. My only comment about this place is you have to set aside time to eat here. There was only one personnel on hand so my food cam after a bit of a wait. I guess the falafel pita made it worth it anyway. I had the raw pumpkin square for dessert and I found it a bit sweet. Another patron advised me that the cheesecake was a better choice. And soon after dinner, it was time to live it up in Copenagen one last time. Did not disappoint in that regard. 



Tears threatened me when I realised it was almost time to say good bye. Parting hurts.  

Day 4:

Spent half a day in Copenhagen before flying to Barcelona. Since it was Sunday, there were no breakfast places closeby that were open early. Thank goodness I still have some fruits in the kitchen. Figs for life, y'all. I went for a brief stroll to stretch out my legs, knowing that I would have to endure a few hours of uncomfortable bent knees situation in the plane. What a miracle that I managed to pack up after spending the night out. Packing my luggage at dawn, not a new thing, really. 





That ride to the central station tugged at my heart. I wanted to stay another day. Or week. Or month. Or a year. I began this love affair with Copenhagen and I wasn't ready to part ways. Another heartbreak I had to endure. But don't you worry, I'll come back to you soon enough. 

There were more happy moments in Copenhagen, funny little incidents and turns of fate that made me believe it's possible to be overwhelmingly happy. Sure, the Danes are not the most outwardly happy people, but get to know then and you'll know what I mean. This is the city where I witnessed a couple riding the same bike, the guy pedalling and the girl kissing him. This is the city where I caught the eye of the nicest, cleverest and very handsome man. This is the city where I felt very different yet very much at home. And for that, I'm grateful. Vi ses, København!

 

Vegan Eating:

42Raw

  • Website: www.42raw.dk
  • Address: Pilestræde 32, 1112 København, Denmark 

SimpleRaw
  • Website: www.simpleraw.dk
  • Address: Oehlenschlægersgade 12, 1663 København V, Denmark

Torvehallerne

Botaniq
  • Website: www.botaniq.com
  • Address: Frederiksborggade 26, 1360 København, Denmark

Visit this website for other viable suggestions: Top 10 Vegetarian Restaurants in Copenhagen











You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images