(Vegan) New York, New York

11:15


"There is something in the New York air that makes sleep useless."
- Simone de Beauvoir




Taking proximity out of the equation, New York is one of my most visited cities. I can't help it - there's something for everyone, for every mood, for every tummy. My last few trips involved not only a lot of soul searching, but a lot of food research as well. I have incorporated vegetarianism in my life for a long time now, but I've only been vegan for a little more than three years. A few people have commented on "how much I'm missing out" because of my diet choice. Hello, New York pizza. But of course, I don't think I'm missing out on any New York experience due to my diet. If I do eat pizza, then hell yes, I wouldn't experience anything but excruciating tummy pain. So, ha!

Let's get real though. As in any major city, take Paris for example, New York is very much in your face with its food fare. There are so many different restaurants, so many choices, that of course it's difficult not to think, "Man, I want the vegan version of that." I can tell you that I have brought my little feet everywhere around the Big Apple to test taste what's availablw for hungry vegans. *Note that this list isn't comprehensive at all. I am only one woman.

Convenient Choice: Whole Foods
 (Various locations around the city, but my favourite is below)
Address: 95 E Houston St.

The chocolate chip scone that nearly killed me.


The food Mecca of not only vegans, but any health-conscious traveller. The aisles display an array of choices, from fresh pre-sliced fruits and veggies to "healthy" junk food. There is a salad bar and hot food bar, making it hard not to overpack your little brown box. My favourites definitely are the tofu dishes (very savoury and well seasoned) plus any quinoa salad available. Since you pay by weight, do make sure that you choose well, but I think the price is well worth what you get. There are also breakfast options. I haven't tried the oatmeal, but I have had a few of the vegan scones (chocolate chip, coconut, fruit) that are still warm first thing in the morning. If I know that I'm going to need a power boost or a snack in the afternoon, I purchase fruits or Medjool dates and Justin's almond butter. There are also coconut yoghurt in smaller packages so nothing goes to waste. If you're a kombucha fan, be aware that you'd most likely have a hard time deciding which to try. Sounds dreamy, right?

You can also shop for other organic products, such as supplements, beauty products and even workout items. Most locations have available tables for eating in, although locations in residential areas might not (e.g. location in Chelsea).

Feeling Homey: Angelica Kitchen
Address: 300 E 12th St
Website: http://www.angelicakitchen.com/

One of the daily specials: beans & summer veggies with corn bread


Possibly my favourite restaurant in New York and it feels like home. It always take me forever to order. Really. I have eaten my way through halfway of the menu, methinks. But there's always something new wheneve I visit again. Choices, choices.

Angelica Kitchen is more popularly known for its dragon bowls, which is a bowl with rice, beans, veggies and tofu with your dressing of choice. You can also go for the combo bowls - the decision of what goes in your bowl is your choice. There's more room for what you're craving. As a starter, I've loved to share the norimaki (rolled vegetable sushi) as well as the kimchee (a less intense version of the original Korean fare). There are daily specials, of course, considering what's seasonal. As an entree, I have tried the following: three bean chili (spicy enough and hmm cornbread) and Thai coconut-lemongrass curry (I can't repeat enough how much I loved this dish). There are also sandwiches, but I've only tried the New School marinated tofu sandwich (ahem, because of the added avocado). If you are gluten-free, fear not, you'll have a lot of options at Angelica Kitchen. I've never had enough room for dessert, but I did try their fig newton before and it was divine.

If you need more convincing, Kerry Washington used to work here and loved it. And so will you.

I Wanted to Be Cool: The Butcher's Daughter
Address: 19, Kenmare St. (Nolita)
Website: http://thebutchersdaughter.com/

Coconut yoghurt parfait = happiness

To note: The Butcher's Daughter is not all vegan, but is vegetarian (i.e. you will find eggs and dairy on the menu). I found this little gem two years ago as it's located quite literally only a few steps from a friend's flat. With its name, I was a little doubtful as to whether or not I can eat anything on the menu. But, as a vegan, you have some choices. For breakfast or brunch, I especially like their coconut yoghurt parfait (coconut yoghurt with fresh seasonal fruits and granola). I've also tried their soaked organic muesli (it's the figs that won me over). One of my friends loves the tacos verdes (with avocado and tempeh) and if you're vegetarian, you can add eggs as well. I have also tried the smashed avocado toast (the curry and lime make all the difference) and bagel & schmear (with tofu cream cheese). There is also a lunch and dinner menu with a lot of salad and sandwich options, but I've only been here for breakfast and brunch.

I must also say that this place has the best decor, hands down. It's open and airy and colourful with its fresh flowers and plants everywhere. So, if you're going to shop all day in SoHo, stop by here for your fuel.

The Other Cool Spot: Two Hands
Address: 164 Mott St.
Website: http://www.twohandsnyc.com/

Yummy acai bowl on a hot morning

We stumbled upon Two Hands quite unexpectedly and that was one awesome surprise. It was a rather hot morning and I was glad to see smoothies and acai bowl on the menu. I tried their acai bowl and no regrets. We shared one of their smoothies ("Nice n easy" with dates and banana) and my friend had the avo toast (also smashing). The menu is more limited as it is a cafe, but the vibe is cool and you can people watch and have a nice conversation with your friends. It's definitely very busy around 9am, but service was still pretty good. A must-try for any traveller.

On the Go: Hampton Chutney
(A few locations, but my favourite is below)
Address: 143 Grand St. (SoHo)
Website: http://www.hamptonchutney.com/

You can't get enough avocado.

There's a selection for vegetarians and vegans, but it's best to specify when ordering what you want in your sandwich/dosas. Hampton Chutney is my favourite spot for when I want a grab on the go. I usually take avocado sandwich (without the mozarella) when I want something light and easy to eat. But Hampton Chutney is well-known for its dosas and uttapams, and for good reason. The seasoning's always just right and if you're gluten-free, you have options as well. My favourite dosa has got to be the seasonal one (with grilled corn, roasted peppers, roasted onions and arugula) but the grilled portobello mushroom with spinach and balsamic roasted onions comes close. I want one just thinking of it right now.

The place gets packed during lunch time, but less so at night. There are some tables and benches available if you want to eat there. If you also want some caffeine fix, try their cardamom coffee - it's to die for!

This Girl Needs Dessert: Babycakes NYC
Address: 248 Broome St.
Website: https://www.erinmckennasbakery.com/

Get in my belly!

Back in 2013, I decided to search for the tiny Babycakes shop. I got lost along the way, but my tummy didn't care. It just wanted all the cupcakes if could handle. Well worth the sketchy walk because when I finally arrived, it took me a good 10 minutes to decide what to get. Over the past few years, the menu has changed, adapting to what's popular. These days, you can find doughnuts as well. On my last trip in June, I had the mocha flavoured doughnut for breakfast and I think that was one hell of a good decision. This guy in line with me took one of every flavour and even joked that maybe he'll just eat them all during his drive to Florida. His wife wouldn't be happy, I assume. As for the cupcakes, you can't go wrong with red velvet and their lemon one. At least those two hit the sport quite nicely. All gluten-free, too. Hurrah!

AND THE LIST GOES ON:
Spring Natural Kitchen
Address: 474, Columbus Ave. (SoHo)
Website: http://springnaturalkitchen.com/

Another restaurant with cute decor, especially from outside. Spring Natural Kitchen opts to serve all types, from vegetarians to vegans to omnivores so there's a lot of choices for everyone. I tried their tofu scramble and rice with tahini sauce (best tahini sauce ever I must say). Not the most photogenic of meals, but it was delicious from start to finish. Spring Natural Kitchen is a must visit though on weekends, when the brunch menu is available. You can find vegan pancakes (banana buckwheat was heavenly) or more savoury options, such as their vegan breakfast burrito and stir fry organic vegetables. It's all good here!

Blossom
Address: 187, 9th Ave. (Chelsea)
Website: http://blossomnyc.com/home/

The first vegan restaurant I tried in NYC. There are a lot of options on the menu, from salads to pasta to veggie burgers. I've only gone twice over the last couple of years, but both times were equally satisfying. Whilst walking around New York, I noticed this guy who seemed to be having a love affair with his hamburger and I decided I needed one myself, and off to Blossom I went to try their soy bacon cheeseburger. If I can only insert that smiley with two hearts as eyes here, I would. The vegan cheesy deliciousness was almost too much to handle and chipotle aioli? Yes, please. I've also tried their french toast and it's probably the best in vegan New York City. There's just enough strawberries, banana and maple syrup. Don't you just want to hop on a plane now?

Lovely Day
Address: 196, Elizabeth St. (Nolita)
Website: http://lovelydaynyc.com/

Lovely day, indeed. This restaurant is tiny! Whenever I visit, it's either in spring time or during the summer so, if we're lucky, we get to eat outside. But though the space is miniscule, your tastebuds are going to applaud the delicious mix of spices of each meal. We always ate here for dinner, but I think they open for brunch. I'm not sure how vegan-friendly the brunch menu is as it's typical New York fashion to always include eggs for brunch. Although a friend did tell me that there's a PB&J sandwich on the menu, just leave the bacon out. For dinner, you can order some of the small plates as we once did, including the following: edamame, julienned veggie salad with sweet chilli, peanut & lime, homemade veggie dumplings, seaweed salad and fried tofu with sweet chilli sauce. As the restaurant features a lot of Thai-inspired dishes, do make sure that what you're ordering doesn't include fish sauce. There are also "Lovely Day Classics" choices and you can choose tofu as your source of protein. My favourite is their spicy green curry with eggplants, shiitake mushrooms, bamboo shoots over brown rice. I wasn't even that hungry, but I finished my plate! Their pineaple cashew vegetables is also a must try. My friend adored their pad thai, but I couldn't order it as you have to order the dish as described (there's fish sauce involved).

Not the most vegan-friendly restaurant, but I think it's well-worth the try. Especially when there's just a bunch of twenty-somethings gossiping and talking about the next party they're off to. (The most hilarious experience: My friend and I were talking about dating and he mentioned how NYC is not a great place for serious relationships since there's "always someone better around the corner." The couple next to us chimed in and agreed, and the guy looked at me and said, "If you're not dating this one, please don't try Tinder. It's just a bunch of creeps.")

Hummus Place
Address: 71, 7th Ave. or 305 Amsterdam Ave.
Website: http://www.hummusplace.com

Need I say more? Hummus for life. Again, this place is a perfect choice for an easy meal, when you're on the go and just want to get on to your next location. I've always taken the Hummus Place platter or hummus tahini and just ate away with pita bread. However, there are also some good options for entrees, particularly their falafel sandwich (comes with fries I think) and veggie couscous. There's also veggie patties, but it comes with tzatziki sauce so not strictly vegan. Again, you can't have too much hummus.

DF Mavens
Address: 37, St. Mark's Place
Website: http://www.dfmavens.com/

If you don't want to purchase a pint of vegan ice cream from Whole Foods, head to DF Mavens! It advertises itself as the producer of the finest vegan ice cream, and I agree. Perfect place to be when it's hot and humis and just plain scorching in New York. I'm not a big fan of ice cream (I'd rather have a doughnut to be honest), but when the craving kicks in, I always wish there's DF Mavens ice cream just around the corner. You can enjoy different kinds of ice cream with different base (soy, coconut, almond). I prefer almond and coconut over soy as there's less of an after taste. My favourite flavours definitely have to be pistachio, mint almond cookie and mango. Can it just be summer all year long?

And there's more, of course, but that's for another NYC vegan food trip. Hope this list inspires you!

Eat well.

xx





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images