Ro-Ro-Raweos

12:02



"People are like Oreos... The good stuff is on the inside."
- Unknown

Growing up, the biggest debate of my circle of friends was which snack was better: Chips Ahoy cookies or Oreos? My preference was Chips Ahoy, mostly because I liked the chocolate chips. It's no surprise them that on one instance, whilst having a petty argument with one of my closest friends, I started to throw Oreos at her. Kids, listen up, firstly, you all need to eat better snacks. Learn to eat fruits early on. Secondly, I think if you use Oreos as a weapon, your opponent will just garner more pleasure than pain. You might as well supply them a glass of (nut) milk.

The more important question now though, given that I'm vegan, is whether or not Oreos are truly vegan? I scanned their ingredient list and I don't see any animal product. At least nothing that stands out on its own. Peta has also listed Oreos as a surprisingly vegan snack. I've been tempted, really, but I think my hesitation is deeply rooted on the fact that I just don't believe in what Oreos, or any of these kinds of snacks, represent. All the added sugar, who needs that?

Sure, you can classify Oreos as food for the soul. Or even argue that YOLO, why not enjoy every pleasure on the plant whilst you're alive? But that's just my view. I prefer to eat whole foods, more natural products with minimal processing. And thus began my quest to create an Oreo alternative.

Note that even if I (or others who've done so before) call these snack bites "Raweos," they are far from being Oreos. They definitely don't taste like Oreos, but they are so damn delicious that you won't even think that matters.



Raweos
Makes 8-10, depending on size

Ingredients
 For the chocolate layer:
  • 1/2 cup raw almonds
  • 1/2 cup raw cashews
  • 2 tbsp carob powder or raw cacao powder
  • 1 tbsp almond butter
  • 4-5 Medjool dates

For the filling*:
  •  2 cups flaked coconut chips (dessicated works too)
  • 1/4 cup raw cashews
  • 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tbsp agave/maple syrup/coconut syrup 

* This is an estimate. I had some leftover (which I enjoyed with my Medjool dates!).

Soak almonds and cashews in water for at least 3 hours. Then in a food processor, add all ingredients for the chocolate layer. Once everything comes together, transfer to a bowl and chill in the fridge.

To prepare the filling, mix in all filling ingredients in a food processor. Process until desired consistency is attained.

For the Raweos, you can either set up the cookie layer as a "dough" and use a rolling pin and a circular cookie cutter. I just made them into "bliss balls" shape and flattened them using my palms. Add the filling.

Chill first before serving.


Enjoy xx

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Looks so good mmmmm! I'm on a mission to recreate some childhood classics for myself and friends now that I'm a wholefood vegan- there are vegan oreos that taste amazing but are way too processed.

    This is perfect- thankyou for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images