Cookies & (No) Cream Nicecream

16:24






"There were some problems only coffee and ice cream could fix."
- Amal El-Mohtar

 Growing up in Southeast Asia, what I've come to known as "typical" cuisine was rather different from what the Western world has to offer. Chocolates weren't as creamy as what's sold in stores in North America. Dairy products definitely taste different. Sure, we had a supply of fresh milk because of my grandma's farm, but milk consumption was usually from powdered versions. Let's not even get started with cheese. Connoisseurs would faint at the idea that what I've known as cheese to actually be real cheese. (It isn't.) Ice cream was also a story of all sugar and not so much cream. There's something very artificial about it. Then again, I couldn't stomach much dairy so ice cream has never been in my top three comfort food. My multiple broken hearts were never fixed by Ben & Jerry's. That would just be a lot more (physical) pain. But I remember how growing up, my grandparents who lived in California always sent us Hershey's Cookies & Cream bars and my mum would mix in pieces with vanilla ice cream, and my six year-old self thought that was genius. It was one of those treats that I knew was worth the pain, literally. Of course, that didn't last long.

Since I can't consume normal ice cream, one because I'm intolerant to all dairy products and two because I'm vegan, I'm taking matters to my own hands. I tolerated a full week of resisting Oreos. I mean, are they or aren't they vegan? But with just the principle of the thing, I decided to go against purchasing Oreos. So I headed to my local health food store and asked for a substitute. I'm glad I found Ktoos cookies, which are dairy free and gluten free. They're smaller than Oreos, with less filling and a crumbier texture, but I'm not complaining. Their purpose is to crumble...

Cookies & Cream Nice Cream
Serves 1

Ingredients:
  • 2 frozen bananas
  • 1 tbsp almond milk (adjust as needed)
  • Dash of cinnamon
  • 2 creme cookies 

In a hi-powered blender or food processor, mix together frozen bananas, almond milk, cinnamon and 1 cream cookie. Blend until well combined. Transfer to a bowl ad freeze as needed. Top with crumbled creme cookie.Simple.

Enjoy! xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images