Vegan Baked Chocolate Donuts with Cashew Frosting

19:32




"And now we welcome the new year full of things that have never been."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

Funny how we, as humans, regard the New Year as a new opportunity to start over, eyes wide open and full of intention. Nothing really changed. Technically, just the year. But beginning a new year is quite significant. Rather symbolic. As if surrounded by mystic. Half the time, we barely make it to the end of January before old habits creep back again. Or for new goals nicely written down in what possibly is a new journal or typed, bolded, underlined, all in capital letters on our mobiles, never to see the light of day.

Sometimes I forget there is no need for a new week, month or year to set new goals and make a change. The important thing is simply to start. Right here. Right now. Wherever that may be. I laugh about it now, but I was so particular about dramatic theatrics of setting goals. I required new notebooks and pens and other paraphernalia, as if that would automatically lead me halfway to crossing the finish line. But when it came down to it, I almost always failed at whatever I set my mind to halfheartedly. What absolute farce! It was like putting on a performance and watching myself forget my lines, trip, stutter and fall face first time and time again.  

I told myself enough with the resolutions already. I do not have the resolve or willpower to push through goals set at what I was taught to believe as a rather "significant moment". Mindfulness, that is what it comes down to. Obviously, I still think it is important to think about goals you want to reach in a year or so, to digest those dreams with your current situation. But there is absolutely no pressure to set goals on the first of the year. I usually set intentions at the beginning of every month, small things that I want to work on and focus on short-term. If I failed at something, then I work harder the following month. I randomly set goals, too. Or remove intentions and plans that no longer add any happiness or fulfillment to my life. There is no rule as to how you should welcome a new year.

Truth be told, I have not given much thought as to what my intentions are in the short- or long-term. There are few minor goals that have been circling my brain, but what I really want is to live a full life this year. For it to be as meaningful as possible. For me to swat away pestering thoughts that are of no use to me. For me to complain less about things I have no control of and instead to be grateful for and enjoy what currently is. Not so concrete, but I am working on it. As for my simple intentions, they are all rather silly, but for me, I think these will all help cut down my "inefficiencies" and increase daily joy:
  • No laptop in bed rule, especially before bed. It is embarrassing to think of the number of times I have fallen asleep with a show on Netflix playing and waking up in the middle of night to see a black screen, Netflix having decided to go to sleep. 
  • Try out pottery in the spring/summer. I even found the school and all. Finally. This has been a few years in the making. And no, I was definitely not inspired by that scene from Ghost
  • Take little outings to museums and galleries more often. I visited museums only twice in 2017. Do you know how sad that makes me feel? Unacceptable. 
  • Meditate every single day. A few weeks strong, I can tell you. Except, last night, I reckon I was actually half asleep for the most part. Work in progress. 
  • Buy with purpose. My shopping was horrendous in 2017. I look at certain things I bought and feel a heartburn piercing my insides. All beautiful things, but some are rather unnecessary. If an item will not be used within the week or month, I will (try) not to buy it. I have to stop with the "what-if" scenarios. The what-ifs only happen if I make them happen anyway (and I was and am still bad at that). 

That's that. I guess if you got this far, you are already feeling impatient. Where the hell is the recipe already? I am getting to it, okay? Before the year ended, I made vegan chocolate donuts sweetened with dates and frosted with cashew butter. Every bite was worth it.

Also, I do intend to bake more this year. I thought I outbaked myself over the holidays... but, nope, I am itching to bake again, even right this moment. *control yourself, come on*

F*

Vegan, Gluten-Free Baked Chocolate Donuts with Cashew Frosting 
Yields 6 donuts

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup nut butter of choice (I used cashew butter)
  • 1/2 cup plant-based mylk of choice (I used almond milk)
  • 12 medjool dates, soaked in water to soften
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup almond flour
  • 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate powder (or cacao powder)
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
For the frosting:
  • 1/4 cup cashew butter
  • 1/2 tbsp dark chocolate powder
  • Date paste, to sweeten (I blended 2 medjool dates with warm water until runny) 

Preheat oven to 350F. Oil doughnut mould with coconut oil and set aside.

In a food processor, process nut butter of choice, plant-based mylk, medjool dates and vanilla until smooth.

In a bowl, mix together the flours, dark chocolate powder, dark chocolate chips, ground cinnamon, baking powder and salt.

Mix the wet with the dry and combine until well incorporated.

Transfer the mixture into the prepared tins, making sure to fill completely. The dough should be thick and not too wet. Add more flour or liquid as required.

Bake for 20 minutes. Once baked, let cool on a wire rack before removing the donuts from the mould.

As the donuts bake, prepare the frosting by mixing the cashew butter, dark chocolate powder and date paste together. As I wanted a thicker frosting, I didn't add that much liquid. If you prefer a glossier frosting, feel free to add maple syrup or almond milk instead of date paste.

Add frosting onto the donuts once cool. Make sure that the tops are well covered.

Enjoy! xx  



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images