Vegan Twix Bar

17:54



"I will go on adventuring, changing, opening my mind & my eyes, refusing to be stamped & stereotyped. The thing is to free one's self; to let it find its dimensions, not be impeded. Yes, I will be free & entire & absolute & mistress of my life."
- Virginia Woolf 


How is it February already? Such an unoriginal question. Time passing quickly yet slowly but forever passing regardless makes me question the concept of time. In any case, as long as  the sun rises and sets every day, the show must go on. You continue making your life. 

You know what happens when you spend January either working in busy mode or sick in bed? You think a lot. You ponder on questions that have existed in your repertoire of inquiries and must-be-answered lists. I'm not just talking about BIG life-changing questions. Like whether or not I'll find someone who gets me. Or if I'll stop being a chicken and just go for it. But also questions for curiosity's sake. Tongue scraping, ya know. It makes a big difference, people. And if vegan rice krispies are as good as the "real" thing (they're better! I finished off the pan in three days). Whether or not I should travel alone again after two years of non-solo traveling. I decided that I should. I feel a tingling in my toes, butterflies in my belly. Mistress of my life, indeed.

But sometimes, being the mistress of your life can mean as simple as baking that cake and having a slice or two. Or ten. Whatever your cravings whisper in your ear. Or one can argue being a mistress to one's life is to take control of cravings. Whatever floats your boat, y'all.

In the case of these vegan twix bars, I've made them multiple times using different variations. I'll list all the options below, but the best thing is there's no need to use your oven. Yay! (Unfortunately, it does require the use of the food processor... Not so yay for cleaning afterwards.)

Come at me, bruhhh

Vegan Twix Bars
Services 9-12 bars

Crust Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup coconut flour *
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
  • 1/4 cup raw almond butter/cashew butter
  • 2 tbsp almond mylk (or more as required)

Caramel Layer:
  • 10 medjool dates, pits removed and soaked in hot water for at least an hour
  • 2 tbsp cashew butter (or nut butter of choice)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Splash of almond mylk (as required)

Chocolate Topping:
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate (about 3/4 of a chocolate bar)
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
Line a loaf pan with parchment or wax paper. Set aside. 

Mix together all crush ingredients in a food processor. If the mixture is too wet, add more coconut flour, a tablespoon at a time. If too dry, add more maple syrup or nut mylk of choice. 

Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan. Make sure the crust is leveled. Place in freezer as you prepare the caramel layer. 

Make sure the dates are very soft. Process the dates, cashew butter, vanilla extract and almond mylk until smooth. The mixture must be thick, but not as sticky. To add thickness, add more cashew butter. Or if too thick, add nut mylk gradually. 

Add the layer of caramel to the prepared crust. Smooth out with a spatula. Place in the freezer again when preparing the chocolate topping. 

Using a bain-marie, melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat to avoid burning the chocolate. 

Once cooled a bit, pour the melted chocolate onto the caramel. Smooth out to make sure all corners are covered evenly. 

Let sit in the fridge to set and take out when ready to eat.

Enjoy! xxx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images