Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies

18:50


"It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it."
- Lou Holtz


I just want to reflect a bit and then off we go to the recipe.

One winter morning, when ice and snow hailed king and queen, I decided that my tummy could no longer endure the hunger that was swelling. And so, I braved the cold air and icy sidewalks and headed to the market to buy fresh produce. There were so many "almost" moments, in particular, almost breaking my neck and back, but thankfully, my butt was more than accommodating to the purplish bruises that called my body home (at least for a while). With my grocery bags, I tried to figure out how I would get back home. Should I hail a cab? Should I take public transportation? But, really, my house was only a 20-minute walk away. My rather stubborn mind decided a winter walk, heavy bags and all, would probably do me good. Five minutes into my trek back home, I was ready to cry. Literally, it was my load that almost broke me down, probably rendering me unconscious on a sidewalk with spilled sweet potatoes and rolling cans of beans. 

There was my lightning bolt moment. The time I realised I could let the winter weather and heavy groceries kill me or I can simply change how I carry everything to make my walk a little more bearable. I've had many slips, believe me. Tears quietly shed in the privacy of a loo stall. Frustrations vented out to anyone who would listen. Angry outbursts in my bedroom, picking a pillow fight with myself. Miles of running to let the cinders of my anger burn and die. Swimming in a sea of my tears and floating away, salt in my eyes. At the end of every tantrum and honest confrontations, I pick up my baggage and carry on, shifting into different positions until I can no longer break. I walk on, perhaps slowly, but never ceasing. 

Sooooo, the recipe.

I'm not afraid of flour, far from it. I'll happily eat toasts and even a small loaf of bread. Sometimes, I have to say, my body just craves something lighter. Unfortunately, flour-based foods are heavy, especially when one suffers from digestive issues. I for one can't always eat bread or pasta and the like. When the craving hits though, I reach for beans to make a scrumptious dessert that will hit the spot just the same. This time around, I baked cookies with chickpeas as base... Oh. My. Goodness. Let's just say I'll have to bake this again!

Hard not to devour it all.

Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 12 cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and washed
  • 1/3 + 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 1/4 cup cashew butter
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Using a food processor, pulse chickpeas until smooth. Some thicker bits remaining are ok.

Next, add maple syrup, tahini and cashew butter. Process until well combined.

Add in baking powder, vanilla and salt. Process some more. 

Fold in chocolate chips.

Form the dough into balls and flatten a bit on prepared baking tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes, depending on the consistency of your dough. Make sure the bottom is more browned so the cookies won't fall apart.

Let cool on the baking sheet before moving.

Enjoy! xx 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. These look absolutely scrumptious! I love chickpeas and I love chocolate chip cookies, so how could this be anything but delicious?!?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images