Chocolate Nutty Granola

09:50



"Too many of us are too hung up on what we don't have, can't have, or won't ever have. We spend too much energy being down when we could use that same energy - if not less of it - doing, or at least trying to do, some of the things we really want to do."
- Terry McMillan

Currently fighting a sense of dread. So, the cycle begins again. What helps when I'm feeling rather down (and pester everyone with my life complaints): 1) spending time outdoors, 2) reading biographies of interesting historical figures, 3) using up all my energy on baking and cooking. 

My notebooks are now brimming with lists of recipe ideas that I'd love to bake and cook and obviously share with family and friends. I scratch off some, yet I add twice more. There's no helping me at this point... But at least my happiness jar will be full!

After a year of dreaming, I finally made vegan tiramisu (it still needs to be perfected). I re-made some of my other recipes as well, treats and all. My summer body can wait for summer 2018, ok? Since the weather has finally gotten warmer (hello, sunny days!), I'm less tempted to have a warm bowl of oatmeal for breakfast every single morning. But I do love my oats and if you've browsed my blog, you'll know that I also love to make granola. Here's a chocolate granola recipe for those who want to be both naughty and nice. 

Nutty with a side of stewed cinnamon apples FTW!

Chocolate Nutty Granola

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups gluten-free oats
  • 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 2 tbsp hemp seeds 
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
  • 1/2 cup dried figs, sliced (or dried currants/raisins/medjool dates)
  • 1/4 cup coconut flakes
  • 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp maple syrup *
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a big bowl, mix oats, buckwheat groats, chia seeds, hemp seeds, almonds, hazelnuts, figs, coconut flakes,  cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt.

Using a bain-marie or a small saucepan, melt coconut oil with maple syrup. Add vanilla. Pour the liquid mixture with the dry ingredients. Stir well to coat all the oats. If you want to be more well coated, add more maple syrup.

Transfer the mixture onto the baking sheet and spread evenly. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring halfway through to avoid burning one side. (Mine was ready at 22 minutes.)

 Cool completely on the baking sheet before transferring to a sealed glass container.

Enjoy! xx




You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This looks FABULOUS! All of my favorite granola ingredients - especially buckwheat groats!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images