Vegan Chewy Cookies

06:33


"What horrifies me most is the idea of being useless: well-educated, brilliantly promising, and fading out into an indifferent middle age."
- Sylvia Plath

Note: What's middle age anyway these days? At 27, I already feel rather antiquated, like my feet are inching into the abyss of middle age. Some other 45 year-old might actually be feeling like a spring chicken.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Sylvia Plath fueled my moodiness. Looking back, I definitely romanticised her world. Had my dad had his way, he definitely would've locked up the writings of Sylvia Plath far, far away from me. When I explained her analogy of the fig tree, he was actually thoroughly impressed. Later on, when he found out she had committed suicide, he was ready to burn her journals. (I probably would've bought another copy and read it in secret...) 

But you see, I don't admire all of Sylvia Plath's decisions in life, but I do respect her writing. Beyond the fact that every line is well-written, every page is well-thought-out. There's so much feeling, but apart from that, her points ring true. At least to me. 

There are times when I feel stuck. Stranded on an island of my own making, but funded by society's norms and restrictions. I have this deep fear of delivering a shoddy performance. Subpar. At least, by my own standards. (God, if I even start comparing myself to the likes of Forbes' 30 under 30, I will start digging a hole and bury myself alive.)

Now is the time for self-reflection as privileged as that may sound. I know my root cause, the fact that I don't really know what I want in and from life. The goals I've set, both personally and professionally, are for the short-term. Long-term-wise, I'm scratching my head. My big picture is too pixelated at the moment. Give me another five minutes and perhaps, I'll be back in service.

In the meantime, I've kicked my booty into writing another recipe post. I really should get in the habit of noting measurements and ingredients when I bake something new... Memory is jammed at 8am on a Saturday morning. Bear with me. 


So chewy, it hurts.

Vegan Chewy Cookies
Makes 8-12 cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup tahini/smooth almond butter
  • 1/4 cup softened coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp coconut sugar
  • 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp warm water)
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour (plus a few tbsp, depending on consistency)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • Pinch of salt

Add-ins:
  • Dark chocolate
  • Dried cranberries
  • Vegan white chocolate
  • Crushed Oreo cookies


 Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together tahini/almond butter, coconut oil and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the flax eggs and mix until well incorporated.

Then, add the coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Fold in add-ins of choice. I made two batches: one with dried cranberries and white chocolate, and another with crushed chocolate/vanilla cookies.

Roll into balls. Depending on the size, you can make 12 cookies. I had 10 cookies per batch. Flatten the top a bit and bake for 10 minutes.

Let cool completely before removing from the baking sheet as the cookies need to set. Enjoy! xxx


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images