Easy Breezy Granola

18:11



"Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing."
- Lao Tzu

Do you get it? For years, I've wondered about that quote. I've thrown it around, bouncing off ideas with different people. I remember my dad laughing when I read the quote out loud. The meaning seemed to just click for him. I didn't understand it because I was always so "busy." Being overworked was romanticised and glorified in my world. If you have even two minutes to breathe, then you're doing something wrong.

My dad told me it simply means refocusing, about not taking detours because you're procrastinating and adding extra layers of fluff that don't contribute any value to your life. It makes sense, doesn't it? When society tells you that you need to constantly be on the god and to always have something going on, you're bound to complicate your life for the sake of seeming to be busy building a life. Just labels. It's like contouring your face to make yourself look like you have cheekbones that can slice diamonds in half. In the end, you kid yourself and you lose focus.

I realised that I've been busy doing nothing. Sure, I accomplish task A and B and C and D, but there were always these "busy" interludes along the way that cela n'a rien à voir with what I'm trying to do to begin with. When have we become so blinded by our busy-ness? And so, I simplify. No, it's not about taking shortcuts. It's just about avoiding the desire to put up a front to make yourself seem like you're living the life.

I started with my food. At first I thought it's me being lazy to prepare actual meals. Then I realised for the longest time, I wasn't preparing my food to please my tummy; I was doing it for the sake of Instagram. Yes, yes, that was the truth. I made all these elaborate breakfasts that took time all because I wanted, nay NEEDED, to post something worthwhile every single morning. It was exhausting. I suppose it works in my favour now that cereal has been glorified by fellow vegans. If you didn't know, I've always loved cereal, but never posted any food photos because hey, it seemed oatmeal was the bomb diggity. Funny (or stupid) how we base our day to day decisions on what others deem to be the "cool" thing.

I'm starting small, you see. I've yet to simplify the big things in life, like, I don't know, one's lifestyle perhaps. Since I decided to walk halfway to work from my new home (it's about an hour walk), I don't have enough time to prepare a more elaborate breakfast in the morning. So with my thinking cap on, I've thought of ways to simplify my breakfast and avoid the headaches in the morning (both literal and figurative). If you check this blog often enough, you'll notice that I have a thing for granola. Seriously. BUT I've found a way to even simplify my granola recipes because why not? It's almost like finding the root cause of a problem. No more talking, I promise you'll like this recipe.

 FAVE!

Easy Breezy Granola
Makes 6-8 servings

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups gluten-free oats
  • 1 cup trail mix of choice (Mine was a tropical mix of dried fruits and nuts)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 170C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together all dry ingredients (oats to salt). In a separate bowl, whisk together applesauce, maple syrup, water and vanilla. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated.

Spread the granola onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes and mix halfway through. Don't overmix if you like bigger clusters.

Allow to cool before transferring into an airtight container. Make sure that the granola is cooled completely to retain its crunch.

Enjoy with vegan yoghurt and sliced fruits! xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images