Decadent Espresso Brownies with Marshmallows

17:38




"Coffee is a language in itself."
- Jackie Chan 

My parents weren't big coffee drinkers, but growing up, I always thought it was so "adult" of them to have a cup of coffee in the morning with their breakfast. My dad preferred his coffee black, although in the afternoon, he'd have a cup with some cream and sugar. My mum was all about her cup in the morning with sugar and milk. That's it. I had to wait for the next morning to breathe in that wonderful coffee aroma. 

I had my first cup of coffee a couple of months after turning 18. Don't ask why I took that long to try coffee. I guess I never really thought I needed it. Until one morning, no amount of tea and lemon water was enough to wake up my senses. My sleeping problems got worse and after lunchtime, I found myself yearning for my warm bed. It was time to try some caffeine and see how my body would react. I'll be honest with you: Coffee barely has any effect on me. I can still dose off after my morning cup of coffee. I reach for extra cups during a long work day only because of how it makes me feel. I feel comforted, like a warm hug in a cup. 

I've never baked using coffee before. I've made desserts that pair very well with coffee, but this particular gift from the heavens has never been an ingredient. It was time to change that. What better way than to include my current favourite Dandies marshmallows as well. I was browsing the Dandies website for recipe inspiration and guess what was featured? Espresso brownies. Disclaimer: I did change up this recipe a little bit because it's a little too indulgent for my taste. I mean, 1 1/2 cups of sugar? You don't need that much sugar in whatever you're baking. Unless you're baking a 5-tiered cake of something. The recipe below includes my modifications, just FYI. 


 What diet?

Espresso Brownies with Dandies Marshmallows
Makes 9-12 squares

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Dandies marshmallows 
  • 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax with 5 tbsp of cold water)
  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp salt 
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 6 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Foods chocolate chunks)
  • 1/4 cup boiling water
  • 2 tbsp finely ground espresso
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 8 tbsp vegan butter, melted (like Earth Balance)
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a square pan with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

In a separate bowl, mix cocoa powder, vegan chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of boiling water. Stir until the chocolate chips are melted and all ingredients are incorporated well together.

Mix ground espresso, brown sugar, vegan butter, vanilla extract and flax eggs into the chocolate chip mixture. Then pour in the flour mixture. Add boiling water until all well incorporated. You may not need all of the remaining 1/2 cup of boiling water.

Incorporate the marshmallows in the batter. pour in the prepared pan.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool before slicing.

Enjoy! xx



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images