Vegan Oil-Free Zucchini Bread

17:41



"People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy."
- Anton Chekhov

August rolls in and all I can think about it all the autumnal activities I get to do. Apple picking. Layering. Oh, thicker scarves. Ankle boots. The smell of cinnamon and apples in the air.  Pumpkin pie. Jumping on a pile of orange, yellow and red leaves. Walking around with a hot cup of coffee in hand. Funnily enough, I love visiting museums in the fall. Those colder morning runs that end up being more refreshing. 

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Summer isn't over! Isn't life all about being grounded in the present? Enjoying what's right in front of you? And what's in front of me is basically big zucchinis that are a little tired from being made into zoodles. Because I need to bake (it's stitched in my DNA, I believe), I just have to make zucchini bread. I tried a new recipe and I think it's my favourite so far. 

 Seriously!

Vegan Oil-Free Zucchini Bread 
Adapted from Cearaskitchen*
Makes 8-10 slices

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg

  • 2 flax eggs
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini (drain some of the excess water)

  • 3/4 cup Enjoy Life Foods chocolate chunks
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries

 Preheat oven to 350F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or grease with coconut oil/vegan butter.

Prepare flax eggs but mixing 2 tbsp of ground flax eggs with 6 tbsp of water. Set aside (chill in the fridge).

In a medium size bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients (flour to nutmeg).

In a separate bowl, all wet ingredients, including flax eggs.

Slowly add and fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Once incorporated, add in chocolate chips and cranberries.

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for at least 5 minutes in the pan before moving to a cooling rack. Make sure the bread if cooled completely before slicing.

Enjoy! xx (Perfect with a chai latte, I tell you!)

*: My modifications are listed above. Check out Ceara's website for the original recipe.



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. It's ironic that I'm addicted to zucchini (in everything from zoodles to smoothies to granola) but have never made zucchini bread before. Looks scrumptious - and I LOVE Enjoy Life's chunks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must try, I tell you! And it's not overwhelmingly sweet. I even add some almond butter to mine :)

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images