Vegan Zucchini Oreo Brownies

03:48



"Chocolate is not cheating! After a salty meal, you need a little bit of sweet. This is living, not cheating."
- Ali Landry

Call it self-control, but yes, even though rumour has it Oreos are "vegan", I still avoid them like a bad ex-boyfriend. But the urge to make brownies topped with Oreos kept on knocking on my door. Instead of Oreos, I looked for "healthier" alternatives. Yep, I decided to go home instead of go big. I found a gluten-free and dairy version and though these are less sweet compared to Oreos, I think they hit the right spot. 

At first, I thought of making my avocado brownies and topping them with the cookies. When you have too many zucchinis staring at you, asking to be cooked, you have to come up with a creative way to incorporate the veggies. As with my baking history, it's pretty obvious that I'm all about veggies in desserts. Here we go.

Come to Mama!

Vegan Zucchini Oreo Brownies
Makes 9-12 slices 

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup spelt flour *
  • 1 flax egg or chia egg
  • 1 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp white vinegar
  • Pinch of salt 
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted **
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life Foods)
  • 8 Oreo cookies (or Oreo-style cookies)
  • Splash of almond milk, as needed

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a square pan with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, mix together the spelt flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.

In a large bowl, whisk together shredded zucchini, coconut oil, flax egg, white vinegar and sugar.

Pour the dry ingredients with the large ingredients. Don't overmix. If you think the consistency of the batter isn't right enough, add almond milk until desired consistency is achieved.

Pour half of the batter in the pan. Crush 4 Oreo cookies and layer onto the batter. Add 1/4 cup of chocolate chips. Pour the rest of the batter and repeat with the remaining cookies and chocolate chips.

Bake for 25-30 minutes. Let cool before serving.

* - I used spelt flour only because I had this on hand. I assume whole wheat and all-purpose flour will work as well.
** - Make sure that all ingredients are at room temperature so coconut oil won't harden.

Enjoy! xx


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images