Vegan Banana Scone with Peanut Butter Frosting and Chocolate Glaze

18:43



"I will crush your scones."
- Pretty Little Liars

It's not always that I'm inspired to bake scones. Or sCONES. Whichever way you want to pronounce this word.  I think I've only baked scones twice in my lifetime, this time included. I remember baking those gingerbread scones that were partially burnt, but were still just so delicious. Sure, I think I had to scrape them off the pan and slice off the burnt bits, but it was all well worth it. (Psst, my oven has anger management issues so yes, it does burn off a lot of the food you try to bake.) 

I was rather tempted to bake those gingerbread scones again, but since I was running low on medjool dates and didn't have molasses on hand, banana scones had to do. To be quite honest, I'm still uncertain as to how scones' consistency should be. Are they supposed to be crumbly? Hard? Not too hard? Sweet? Not too sweet? Should they be round? Or is a triangle okay, too? I simply don't know. Funnily enough, since I can't have any clotted cream, I've never dared to try them when I visit England. (Also because of the fact that I am now vegan.) 

At least, in my book, my creation passes as a scone. Perhaps a more North American version of a scone. Veganised at that. Although, I reckon, when they're quite hard, they can be used as a weapon. (Please, no violence. I don't support this, but it does sound like a yummier choice.) 

Completely clueless, I did a bit of Google search to try to find a banana nut scone recipe that 1) wouldn't bore my taste buds and 2) wouldn't be too sweet. I needed that fine balance. I found this wonderful recipe from Cookie & Kate. I just didn't use the maple glaze from that recipe since I was running low on maple syrup and I didn't have powdered sugar in the pantry. FYI, I don't like powdered sugar at all, which is why I do sometimes just completely omit icing on cakes I bake. This time around, unwilling to leave my scones buck naked, I made a peanut butter frosting and a chocolate glaze because banana goes so well with PB and chocolate. Just my two cents. 

* Note: The recipe below already includes my modifications. Please visit the original recipe here if you want to check it out.  



Vegan Banana Nut Scones with PB Frosting & Chocolate Glaze (adapted)
Makes 8 scones

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups wholewheat flour or spelt flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped into fine pieces
  • 1/3 cup solid coconut oil (make sure it's not close to liquefying) 
  • 2 ripe medium bananas, mashed
  • 1/4 almond milk
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, combine together the flour, 3/4 of the chopped nuts, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.

Use a fork or cookie cutter to cut the coconut oil into the dry ingredients. There should be tiny pieces of coconut oil mixed into the dry ingredients. 

In a small bowl, mix together mashed banana, maple syrup and almond milk. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well. Keep mixing until you have made a dough. You can use your hands for an easier process.

On a clean, flat surface, place the dough and form into a circular form that's about an inch high. Cut into 8 pieces.

Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.

Let the scones cool for a few minutes before topping with frosting and glaze. (See below for recipe.) Top with nuts if desired.

Peanut Butter Frosting
  • 2 tbsp smooth all-natural peanut butter 
  • 2 tbsp of coconut flour 
  • 1/4 cup water or almond milk 
Whisk together all ingredients. Depending on the consistency of your peanut butter, you may have a runny frosting if you use all water all at once so I suggest starting by adding a tbsp of liquid at a time. You can also skip on the coconut flour if there's not much liquid to absorb.

Chocolate Glaze
  • 2 tbsp cacao powder
  • 1 tbsp water
Simply whisk together until incorporated. If it's too runny, then add more cacao powder.

Enjoy! xx






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images