Not-Your-Boring Oatmeal Cookies

13:47




"You'll have to eat oatmeal or you'll dry up. Anybody knows that."
- Kay Thompson

Sometimes, I end up being boring or bored, and my creative juices run dry. That's usually when I spend a lot of time on Google, searching for random things. I mean, one time, I ended up discovering this website: LOLMyThesis, which is a website dedicated to summarising thesis using funny and honest one-liners. There's just about a website for anything. Anything, I tell you! 

*Another favourite of mine when I'm bored is 9-Eyes just because, man, you think you're weird and you can hide it, but you can't. You really can't.

This time around though, I think I searched for "medjool dates," "oatmeal," "vegan," and "cookies". Bam! I found the following recipe from Oh She Glows and I was beyond excited of course. As mentioned in my previous post, my aunt bought too many medjool dates, if there's such a thing as too much. I'm not trying to get rid of them or anything, but since my Mama doesn't really eat dates on their own, I have to find creative and delicious ways to incorporate dates in my baking. So, there we go, these turtle cookies with medjool dates and chocolate chips by Angela from Oh She Glows fit the bill. 

I should perhaps also tell you now that even when I'm inspired by another recipe, I still end up making modifications. It's not because I'm fussy or anything like that, it all just depends on convenience. Do I have the ingredients on hand? Will it be too sweet? Is the consistency how I like it? Is it too taxing? Sometimes, I'm just lazy and I want to take shortcuts. Other times, I don't like certain ingredients so I try to find alternatives. Obviously, it can either be a hit or a miss. But, you see, as with anything else in life, baking is about practice and gaining knowledge. Not any other thing is a good alternative, you know.



Not-Your-Boring Oatmeal Cookies (Adapted from Oh She Glows)
Makes 16 cookies

Disclosure: The recipe below already includes my modifications to the original recipe of the Turtle Oatmeal Cookies from Oh She Glows. If you want to see the original recipe, you can click the link above.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup walnuts
  • 2 cups gluten-free oats, divided
  • 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda, sifted
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 3.5 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 2 tbsp almond milk
  • 1/3 cup medjool dates, diced
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips (I used EnjoyLife)
Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 

Add walnuts and 1 cup of oats into the food processor and process until there's still some coarse bits. Don't overprocess to the point that the mix is all powdery. 

In a big bowl, mix together the nut and oat mixture, the remaining oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, stir together maple syrup, coconut oil and almond milk. Pour wet into dry and mix until incorporated. 

Fold in medjool dates and chocolate chips. Once incorporated, shape into balls. There was enough for 16 cookies for me. Bake for 10-12 minutes. 

Let cool and enjoy! xx 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images