Banana Bread: Vegan & Gluten-Free

14:33



 
"This shit is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S."
- Gwen Stefani

 It's not always that we have ripe bananas. Why? Because we're monkeys who go through all our bananas throughout the week. If I want to freeze bananas for my smoothies, I have to buy extra bananas designated for freezing. So, extra ripe bananas for banana bread? It takes a lot of effort from my part to make sure that there are at least 4 bananas ready to be baked. Drives me bananas coordinating all this.

My brother has gluten intolerance. It's something incredibly difficult for a guy in his early twenties. You know, because of beer. But I think he's surviving and quite well at that, too. He's had to educate himself about gluten-free diet and I'm glad to say, he's almost vegan. So, as the best sister that I am, I'm experimenting with gluten-free recipes that are still vegan (because, you know, I need to enjoy my treats as well). Here goes for my gluten-free and vegan banana bread. 

Vegan & Gluten-Free Banana Bread
Serves 8-10

Ingredients:
Wet Ingredients
  • 1.5 chia egg (1.5 chia seeds plus 4-5 tbsp of water)
  • 2 ripe medium-sized bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted

Dry Ingredients
  • 1 cup sweet sorghum flour *
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • Dark chocolate chunks 
  • Coconut flakes, optional

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking dish with parchment paper (I used a round pan - a regular loaf pan would work, too).

In a small bowl, mix together all wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, sift together all dry ingredients, except for dark chocolate chunk. Pour wet into dry and mix until all is incorporated. Be careful not to overmix. Fold in dark chocolate chunks.

Pour into baking dish and top with coconut flakes if desired. Bake for 30-45 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes before slicing.

* - You can also try a regular gluten-free flour blend and adjust wet ingredients accordingly. I usually just eye it.

Enjoy xx 




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images