Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

17:56




"Number one, I absolutely love making chocolate chip cookies. I mean, it's fun. It's exciting. Beyond the fact I love making them, I love eating them."
- Debbie Fields

Truth be told, I'm not a cookie baking afficionado. From my multiple past experiences, I burn cookies more than I actually bake them. I blame it on my oven, but that's a whole other story. So, of course, an amalgamation of past failure baking experiences only reinforces my aversion to baking chocolate chip cookies. Until of course my mum made too much pumpkin puree and we were stuck with a dilemma. She didn't feel like having pumkin bread, only because I had already baked a banana bread the previous day. She also didn't want pumpkin pie - she hates pies. Unless it's apple pie. Then, again, that's a whole other story. I had to rely on, as Poirot would describe, the little grey cells. As if I've just come into an insight, I opened all my cupboards and checked what's aplenty. Chocolate chips. Flour. Coconut oil. Brown sugar. This might be a good time to try cookies. Again.

Another issue that arose was, although I had set my heart into baking cookies, I didn't actually have a vegan pumpkin cocolate chip cookie recipe (phew, that was a mouthful). Already tired from work that day, I had to come up with a recipe. But hey, that was a breather compared to what my actual profession entails. This is more exciting. All the possibilities! The eyeing of measurements and adjustments to be made. Because, let me tell you, if you bake often enough, you can eye just by th texture of your dough or mixture how your bread or cookie or cake will turn out once it's baked. Experience is the best teacher, as the saying goes.



Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes approx. 15 cookies

Wet ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mixture)
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted *
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar

Dry ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour **
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp bakin soda
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon
  • Dash of nutmeg
  • Pinch of salt
  • Chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, mix together all dry ingredients except for chocolate chips. In a separate bowl, mix together all wet ingredients. Then, gradually add in dry into wet ingredients. Be careful not to overmix. Add in chocolate chips and mix until incorporated.

Roll into spoonful size balls. Bake for 8-12 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies. Once baked, cool for at least 15 minutes.

Enjoy xx!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images