Easy Vegan French Toast for One

17:11


"You are the French to my toast."
Having lived in Canada for more than a decade, I can honestly say I feel rather Canadian now because we never run out of maple syrup. Once I see our stock run low, I'll buy another can of maple syrup a.k.a. the syrup to end all syrups. That's what keeps me sleeping like a baby at night, knowing we won't run out of maple syrup. (I'm joking, obviously, but I think I'm making my point at how much I love this thing.) 

Pancakes weren't a foreign concept to us growing up in Asia. However weird that may be. Whenever my grandmother would visit us from California, she'll whip up stacks of pancakes for me and my brother and she'd drizzle a lot of maple syrup to the point that our pancakes look like islands about to sink down an ocean of syrup. Gone were the days I didn't worry about sugar contents. Our school cafeteria, priding itself to cater the wants of students from different cultural backgrounds, started to offer hotcakes for breakfast or early morning snacks... But that syrup was anything but maple. I'm sorry to say this, but corn syrup just sucks. Obviously, once I set foot in Canada, the land of BeaverTails, famous Ryans and hockey, I just needed to take a shot or two of maple syrup. (No, that didn't happen, although I think I overate pancakes because I wanted more syrup.) 

I've moved on to French toast since then. I even use maple syrup as a substitute to sugar. Heck, my favourite marinade for tofu and tempeh is maple syrup based. I got a thing for maple and it just won't stop. 

But let's go back to French toast. Obviously, being vegan, the eggs and milk have go to go. And I'm also all for making recipes healthier, but without having the flavour suffer. You can have the best of both worlds, in my honest opinion. This recipe is pretty great if you don't want your boring (but delicious!) ol' PB&J sandwich and you're feeling pretty adventurous. You can't mess it up! 

Oh my lord. 

Easy Vegan French Toast for One 
Makes 1 French toast sandwich

Ingredients: 
  • 2 slices of bread of choice (I chose a quinoa sandwich bread) 
  • 1/4 cup almond milk 
  • Dash of cinnamon 
  • Almond butter or peanut butter 
  • Jam of choice 
  • Coconut oil 

Make a regular nut butter and jam sandwich. If desired, add some banana slices as well.

Next, one a shallow plate or bowl, pour almond milk and whisked in cinnamon. Soak your sandwich until fully covered.

Heat the coconut oil on a pan. Once hot, cook your toast, making sure that you get all sides.

Once cooked, top with fruits like strawberries and banana slices and of course, drizzle lovingly with maple syrup.

Enjoy! xx







You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images