Vegan Peanut Butter Choco Chip Cookies

10:47




"I suppose I could've stayed home and baked cookies and had teas."
- Hillary Clinton

Growing up, chocolate chip cookies were a treat, only to be handed out when my brother and I were extra well-behaved. See, chocolate chip cookies weren't particularly "traditional" snacks where we grew up. I didn't think much of chocolate chip cookies to be honest. Just another sweet treat. And there were plenty of other options. 

When I started baking, I put off trying to bake cookies. It's all about the dough. How hot your oven is. Timing. I was sloppy and messy in the kitchen then, unable to understand the intricate art of baking. There were numerous failed attempts--burnt cookies, cookies that were too sweet or too soft or too hard, cookies that didn't even deserve their name. It was all too much for my faint heart. But, I do believe in persistence and that practice does make perfect. This was back in the days when I was vegetarian and still consumed dairy products. I made this killer chocolate chip recipe with butter. Lots of butter. Quantity that would make your arteries burst. But the cookies came out perfectly--with a little crunch and a soft centre. Totally sinful in more ways than one. 

As a vegan, I haven't really baked cookies. Sure, I made these decadent pumpkin choco chip cookies or more recently, these carrot cake cookies. But chocolate chip cookies? I haven't even attempted. I'm not there yet. I've researched countless vegan websites already for a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe, but the temptation isn't that strong yet. Soon, perhaps. Although, one night, having an almost empty jar of crunchy peanut butter staring at me during dinner turned on some light bulb in my head. What should we have for dessert? Well then, let's bake some peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. It's a beautiful marriage of chocolate chip cookies with crunch and chewy centre AND peanut butter (the ultimate food, in my humble opinion). Boom! A happy tummy was the result. Exaltation of the taste buds. 

(Pssst, it's extra sweet if you bake it with someone you love. Just saying.)



Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 11-12 cookies

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup gluten-free oats (better if you use rolled oats instead of quick cooking)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter 
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk *
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar
  • 3 tbsp of melted coconut oil **
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat baking mat.

In a medium bowl, mix together peanut butter, milk, sugars and coconut oil. Once thoroughly mixed, add in flour, oats, baking soda and salt.

Fold in chocolate chips.

Place dough on the baking sheet (a little more so a tablespoonful at a time). Baking for 8-10 minutes, depending on how thick you made the dough.

* - I just had extra coconut milk that was waiting to be used. I reckon 1/2 cup of any nut milk of choice will work.
** - Make sure that all other ingredients are at room temperature. If milks are cold, then your coconut oil will solidify. You can also sub olive oil or canola oil.

Enjoy! xx



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images