Vegan Christmas Plum Cake with Chocolate

18:30





"Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling."
- Edna Ferber
Growing up in the Philippines, Halloween was simply a concept one read in books and watched in films. Nothing more. Though we eventually lived in a community that did celebrate Halloween, funnily enough, houses weren't decorated with bats and spider webs and fake mummy's. Instead of a scarecrow, a neighbour's lawn would boast the Nativity scene. You know, as any normal person would do. On September 1st. Trust me, if you don't have Christmas lights up yet or a Christmas wreath adorning your door, man, you better get your sh*t together. 

We were always late. I think my family was more of the "Let's get through the next three months first" type so no one was really excited for Christmas until Advent starts. My mum took over the Christmas decorating as my brother and I sat in a corner and tried not to disturb our determined Mama Claus. Then it finally looked like the North Pole in the middle of our living room, but until I saw the Christmas tree surrounded by gifts, little ol' me wasn't feeling the Christmas cheer yet. 

Though now, all grown up, I'm far less interested in the gifts (no, truly, I prefer the kitchen on Christmas day), the same old feeling has stayed the same. I don't listen to Christmas songs until a week before Christmas. Is that nor normal? I cringe when city streets are adorned with Christmas lights and wreaths the day after Halloween. Chillax, people. (Wow, I sound like the Grinch right now.) Mind you, I adore spending time picking out thoughtful gifts for family and friends. I make handmade cards, but if I fail to do so, I spend hours picking out the best holiday cards. Being a busy careerwoman (who, stop right there, lady) hasn't helped at all. So no, Christmas cheer has yet to catch up to me this year. 

After a few morning runs surrounded by lawns decorated with Christmas paraphernalia and after (accidentally) hearing She & Him's Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, I decided to let my cold heart feel the warmth of Christmas. Of course, as I mentioned above, my first stop is to let the Christmas cheer into my kitchen. Recipe testing is the best this time of year! And all for a great reason: I want my family and friends to know I love them via the Christmas treats I'm making. Manual labour here, people. (Psst, if we're friends and you don't receive a vegan basket this Christmas, either I don't love you enough or, you know, I just forgot. I'll make it up to you, you hungry tummy.) 

Since my mum purchased a bunch of plums last week and I've only managed to eat three in total throughout the week, I decided to try out a warm plum cake. Now, I rarely ever bake with fruits. Sure, I'll top my morning oatmeal with loads of fruits, but plum? And cake? Totally new to me. I did some research (or my mum's response when I asked her if she knows any good plum recipes, "Google it!") and came upon this recipe and decided to give it a go. (Note: The recipe below already includes my modifications. You can follow the link to the original recipe if you want to check it out.)



Vegan Plum Cake (adapted from Vegrecipes of India)
Makes 8-12 slices

Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted (or use vegan butter or canola oil)
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar 
  • 1/2 cup almond milk (in room temperature if using coconut milk)
  • 1.5 tbsp apple cidre vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3 plums, sliced in small chunks
  • 2 plums, slices for topping
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chip 

Line a round cake tin with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350F.

In a small bowl or cup, pour room temperature almond milk and apple cidre vinegar. Do not stir. 

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ground cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Then, add the coconut oil or butter and mix gently. Once mixed, add in sugar and mix again. Fold in plums and dark chocolate chips.

Add baking soda to the almond milk mixture and stir until frothy. Pour into batter and mix. Don't overmix.

Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Line the top with the remaining plums and add some chocolate chips if desired. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan. Serve warm.

Enjoy! xx


You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images