Just Another Banana Bread

17:43



"Life is full of banana skins. You slip, you carry on."
- Daphne Guinness

Maybe it's because banana bread was the first recipe I've ever learned. Nostalgia is a powerful, powerful driver. Maybe it's because I just really like bananas. I really do. Shame on you if you haven't figured that one out yet. Maybe it's because I love to experiment. Maybe it's all of the above. 

I can't help but try out different recipes for banana bread. I already have my favourite, one that I make all the time and that everyone loves. Still. I'll present another one to you. 

When I accidentally bought soy yoghurt*, I knew I would have to mask the taste in order to finish the whole tub. Yours truly was rather lazy to walk back to the store to return that most ghastly thing. I suppose there was a light bulb that just turned on when one of my co-workers mentioned he replaces eggs and butter with greek yoghurt when he bakes banana bread**. So, finally, I wouldn't need to throw out that sad soy yoghurt. No one at home wanted to eat it. But, hey, if it's incorporated with bananas, flour, sugar and, ahem, some love, perhaps it just might be the next best thing. 

Putting my thinking cap on and a rather festive apron, to the kitchen I went. Come here, you unloved tub of soy. 

Vegan Banana Bread
Serves 8-12 

We ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup soy yoghurt
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 chia egg (or any other egg replacer)
  • 3 ripe, spotted bananas, mashed
Dry ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt 
  • Handful of chocolate chips, optional
  • 1 banana, optional
Preheat oven to 350F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, mix together soy yoghurt and brown sugar until creamy. Add chia egg and mashed bananas. Once incorporated, add in whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Careful not to overmix. Fold in chocolate chips if desired.

Pour into prepared loaf pan. If desired, slice a banana lengthwise into two. Top off the mix with the banana.

Bake for 45-60 minutes. Once baked, let cool on a wire rack before slicing.


Enjoy! xx

P.S.
* - I really, really don't like soy yoghurt. I was reaching for unsweetened coconut yoghurt, but alas, that was not to be. If you follow my Instagram (Ccarlamiel), you'll notice I did manage to eat some with my chia seed parfait.
** - One of the last books I read was Seeing What Others Don't by Gary Klein. After reading this book, I couldn't help but notice my patterns. And so now, I go with the flow. I believe there's always something out there to discover, but you just have to let it come to you. You might even end up making something beautiful (or delicious) with something you don't like. 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images