Vegan Double Chocolate Cookies with Pistachios

06:08



"She must escape somehow, be alone somewhere."
- Virginia Woolf

And exactly that, I did. For a week. On my own in Berlin. Half tormented by the pain I felt as I learned more about their history, history that wasn't kept secret from the world, history that still seems to only have transpired yesterday. Half at awe at every turn, every light, every corner. I've never felt so full yet so empty at the same time. That is the magic of Berlin. (Pssst, not so secret, but Berlin is quite possibly the best city for vegans! You will need more than a week to visit all of the wonderful vegan restaurants and cakes all scattered in the city.) 

If I need some quiet time at home, I spend some time in the kitchen. Maybe I'm being weird, but I dislike when there's someone else in the kitchen with me when I'm baking. Cooking, fine, it's rather homey to prepare a meal with another human. Especially with someone you love. BUT baking, no, mister, I have to be alone. It's my few minutes of escape. When my mind can focus on the measurements and baking time and it can't wander off to my troubles. 

The next morning after I arrived back home, I was already in the kitchen, whipping up a new batch of cookies. Funnily enough, not because I wanted to be alone and escape (again), but because as much as I loved all the Brammibals donuts devoured in Berlin, I missed baking.

These vegan double chocolate cookies with crushed pistachios were the bomb. Everyone loved every bite! Not to toot my own horn. I couldn't even resist them. One evening, I was already rather full after dinner, but the cookie jar was there beside me, teasing, tempting. The cookies were saying "come on, girl, you know you want me. Why deny me?" Don't deny these cookies. Just don't.



Vegan Double Chocolate Cookies with Pistachios (or Pecans)
Makes 12 cookies

Dry Ingredients:
  • 1 cup flour (I used whole wheat and spelt; all-purpose will work, too)
  • 1/3 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • Chocolate chips (as much or little as you want)
  • Pistachios (or pecans)

Wet Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter or almond butter (I've used both)
  • 1/4  cup almond mylk
  • 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax mixed with 6 tbsp water)
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Prepare the flax eggs first by mixing ground flax with water and set aside for 10-15 minutes until thick.

In a medium bowl, mix together the rest of the wet ingredients until smooth.

In a separate bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Add in coconut sugar and mix.

Pour wet with the dry ingredients. Add the flax eggs and mix. Add chocolate chips. Be careful not to over mix.

Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat.

Using an ice cream scoop, scoop cookie dough into the baking sheet. Top with more chocolate chips and pistachios.

Bake for 12-15 minutes (mine baked at 12). Let cool on a wire rack. Serve warm.

For storage, use an airtight container. Cookies will stay fresh for up to 3 days (so share!). 

Enjoy! xx
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images