Fluffy Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Donuts

17:33



"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck."
- Dalai Lama XIV

Life is a funny thing. You think you've got it all figured out, but, really, you haven't. Perhaps for a mere second it seems as if everything has fallen into place and you suddenly feel you've deciphered the secret. But not really. 

I was supposed to bake more avocado brownies on Sunday. But there they were, overripe bananas that were begging to be baked. Banana bread again? Nay. I was supposed to bake matcha donuts, that was next on my list of donut flavours to try. But no, the bananas were giving me puppy dog eyes and who was I to resist? 

See, life didn't throw brownies my way so I baked some kick-arse banana chocolate donuts instead. And, the rest, as they say, is history. 

Naked, but totally delish.

Baked Banana Chocolate Chip Donuts
Makes 12 large donuts

Dry Ingredients:
  • 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour +
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • Pinch of salt

Wet Ingredients:
  • 4 ripe bananas, mashed *
  • 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup maple syrup **
  • 1/4 cup olive oil or melted coconut oil ***
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
  • Chocolate glaze for topping (1/2 cup chocolate chips melted with 1 tbsp of coconut oil)

Preheat oven to 350F. Oil donut pan and set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together all dry ingredients.
 + I used whole wheat pastry flour, but regular pastry flour or AP flour should do the trick. 

In a separate bowl, mash bananas and add remaining wet ingredients.
* My bananas yielded just over 2 cups (approximately 2 1/8 cups). 
** Because the bananas were so overripe, I didn't need much sweetener so I used 1/3 cup. Adjust the liquid as needed for the batter (either add more oil or almond milk). 
*** I used olive oil, but if using coconut oil, make sure that all your ingredients are at room temperature. 

Add wet ingredients into dry and mix until well incorporated. Make sure not to overmix. Fold in chocolate chips.

Pour batter into prepared donut pans and bake for 27-30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before transferring out.

Top with chocolate glaze when cooled.

Enjoy! xxx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images