Gluten-Free Protein Packed Pumpkin Energy Balls

17:10




"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion."
- Henry David Thoreau

Being someone who dislikes crowded spaces, I'd take the pumpkin any day. Actually, maybe the fact that I also really like pumpkin wins a few points over the velvet cushion. That's just me. 

My kitchen is well stocked with pumpkin puree, much to my joy. I have both organic store-bought pumpkin puree and a homemade one. I don't prefer one over the other, to be honest. I think either one does the job, but if you're a purist, then I suppose pureeing your own batch is the better choice. (This somehow reminds of the #liveauthentic hashtag on Instagram... Better grow a beard and wear handmade leather, folks.) 

A few weeks ago, I found myself buying energy balls from a store. They're not necessarily bad when I looked at the ingredients list, except for the fact that of course store-bought versions always include some sort of preservatives. These ones are also rather expensive, when you think about it. I mean, just one small one can cost $3.00. And how many can satiate your hunger or satisfy your snacks for the week? It doesn't take a capitalist to see the flaw in this system. 

So, there I was, searching for snack ideas AND deciding what to do with my pumpkin puree. Thinking. Thinking. Then, like a message from the gods/God/the mystics, it hit me. Why not make my own energy balls with pumpkin puree taking centre stage? I saw my vegan protein powder and I just knew it couldn't be left out. And for full disclosure, the recipe below was adapted from Popsugar's recipe

What autumn dreams are made of <3

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Energy Bites
Makes 20 energy balls

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup raw almonds
  • 3/4 cup gluten-free oats
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup pitted medjool dates, soaked in hot water to soften up
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used Vega)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
  • 2 tbsp dried cranberries

In a food processor, pulse raw almonds until choppy. Then add oats, pumpkin puree, dates, protein powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix until well blended. Transfer to a bowl.

Blend pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries until choppy.  Transfer to a shallow bowl.

Roll the pumpkin mixture into 20 balls (or so). Roll each one on the pumpkin seed and cranberry mixture. Refrigerate to firm up.

Enjoy the extra energy! xx



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

E-mail : heartyspoonful@gmail.com

Flickr Images